If you love lasagna, you will definitely want to make this delicious Lasagna Soup. It’s loaded with sausage, lasagna noodles and Italian spices all in a comforting tomato soup. A dollop of ricotta and sprinkle of mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses put this one over the top.
The cold days and nights of winter call for a warm bowl of soup. Hearty Lasagna Soup includes Italian sausage, diced tomatoes, red peppers, and lasagna noodles. With seasonings of an Italian spice blend, including oregano, garlic, thyme, rosemary and basil, this hearty soup is a must for your list of new recipes to try.
What makes this soup healthy
To make the soup lighter and healthier than traditional lasagna, substitute Italian turkey sausage for traditional pork Italian sausage. It results in 25 percent less calories and half the fat. The soup base is tomatoes and red peppers. Both are high in vitamins A and C as well as the health benefits of fighting heart disease and improving memory. Using low-sodium chicken stock cuts back on the salt in the dish.
Tailor the recipe to your unique tastes
Adapt the recipe to your tastes by adding your favorite vegetables. Along with the shallots and red peppers, add chopped zucchini or yellow squash. Mushrooms and/or bite-sized pieces of green beans also up the vegetable benefits in the soup.
What to serve with Lasagna Soup
Soups are always a hit on a cold night, and a couple of seasonal side dishes will complement the meal. Pair Lasagna Soup with a crisp salad of romaine lettuce, shaved fennel and sliced oranges that is drizzled with a light vinaigrette. Sprinkle a few crunchy crostini with a bit of Parmesan cheese. Pop them in a 400-degree oven for 5 minutes for a complete the meal.
More cozy soups to make…
- Hearty Hamburger Vegetable Soup
- Creamy Mushroom Soup
- Slow Cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage Soup
- Barley Vegetable Soup
If you love lasagna, you will definitely wan to make this hearty Lasagna Soup. It’s loaded with Italian sausage, diced tomatoes, red peppers, lasagna noodles and mozzarella.
- 1/2 pound Italian turkey sausage, removed from casing
- 1 large shallot, chopped, about 1/2 cup
- 1 red pepper, chopped, about 1 cup
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 2 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 lasagna noodles broken in small pieces, don’t use no-boil noodles
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- In a large stock pot over medium-high heat, add the Italian sausage. As the sausage cooks, break it up into bite-sized pieces. Continue cooking for 8 to 10 minutes until the sausage is browned and cooked thoroughly.
- Add the shallot, red pepper and garlic to the pot and sauté for 4 to 5 minutes. Add Italian seasoning, chicken stock, diced tomatoes, salt and pepper and stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil then reduce to a heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Add noodles and continue simmering the soup for 8 to 10 minutes or until the noodles are tender.
- Serve soup in large bowls with a dollop of ricotta cheese and sprinkled with Parmesan and mozzarella cheeses.
- Category: Entree
- Method: Stove top
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: 1+ cup
- Calories: 359
- Sugar: 8 g
- Sodium: 1122 mg
- Fat: 6.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.8 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 53.4 g
- Fiber: 4.9 g
- Protein: 24.8 g
- Cholesterol: 49 g
Keywords: lasagna soup, lasagna soup recipe
This post has been updated on October 20, 2019.