Cream of Mushroom Soup is an easy to prepare creamy soup loaded with lots of mushroom flavor. After tasting this luxuriously cream soup with plenty of sautéed mushrooms, you will never pick up the canned version again.
With Thanksgiving quickly approaching, I get the frequent question of what will my menu be for our family feast. I respond without hesitation. A traditional Thanksgiving menu of turkey with stuffing and gravy, stuffed potatoes, green beans, sweet potatoes, dinner rolls and pumpkin pie with whipped cream will grace our family table this year just as it does every year. I do not dare alter the menu. A riot may ensure in our home. But I may sneak in a first course of my homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup to shake things up a little this year.
I love making a big batch of homemade soup. Not only are most soup recipes easy to prepare but, there is no comparison to the store versions in cans. The most difficult task with making soup is the chopping of the ingredients.
chef cooking tips from making Cream of Mushroom Soup from scratch
To speed up the slicing and cutting involved, I enlist my food processor to do the work. In just a few pulses of the super sharp blade, all the vegetables are ready to go into the soup pot. The food processor with the slicing blade makes quick work of thinly slicing 2 pounds of mushrooms.
As the name suggests, Cream of Mushroom Soup contains cream. If cold cream is added to the hot soup, there is a chance it will curdle. Just warm the cream in the microwave for 30 seconds to remove the chill. Stirring in warm cream results in a velvety, smooth soup.
how to prepare the soup in advance
With the multitude of dishes to prepare for Thanksgiving Day, make the Cream of Mushroom Soup in advance for stress free entertaining. The soup can be prepared up to 4 days in advance and stored in the refrigerator. Before serving, gently reheat in a sauce pan over medium low heat. Stir occasionally to ensure the soup heats evenly. Preparing the soup in advance will leave you more free time to watch one of my favorite holiday traditions the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade.Print
Cream of Mushroom Soup is easy to prepare and is tastier than any store bought canned version. Red wine and cream add full bodied flavor to the creamy soup.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion (about 1 cup diced)
- 4 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 pounds cremini mushrooms (thinly sliced)
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a large pot over medium heat and add the butter and olive oil. When the butter has melted, add the onion, garlic, and mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper. Sauté the vegetables for 8 to 10 minutes or until the mushrooms are tender and the onions are translucent.
- Stir in the red wine. Bring to a boil and reduce the wine for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Warm the heavy cream in the microwave for 30 seconds before adding it with the chicken stock, thyme leaves, and Worcestershire sauce to the pot. Bring the mixture to a simmer. Do not boil the soup or the cream will curdle.
- Combine the cornstarch with 1/3 cup cold water in a small bowl. Stir until the cornstarch is dissolved and the mixture is smooth.
- Stir the cornstarch mixture into the simmering soup. Continue cooking and stirring the soup for 3 to 4 minutes or until the soup just begins to thicken. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Ladle soup into warmed bowls and serve.
Do not let the soup boil after adding the cream or it will curdle.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Appetizer or entree
- Method: Stove top
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 163
- Sugar: 3.2 g
- Sodium: 90 mg
- Fat: 9.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 5 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 10.6 g
- Fiber: 1.6 g
- Protein: 5.2 g
- Cholesterol: 24 mg
Keywords: cream of mushroom soup, cream of mushroom soup recipe