Delicious Cashew Beef and Rice Lettuce Wraps are just like the ones at your favorite Asian restaurant but even better. Browned ground beef and vegetables are seasoned with Asian flavors and served in lettuce leaves with fluffy rice.
Are you like me and like to have a few tried-and-true recipes to take the stress out of dinner time. Along with the typical meatloaf on Monday, tacos on Tuesday, and spaghetti on Wednesday menu, I like to add a dinner with an Asian twist. This one is a winner ~ Cashew Beef and Rice Lettuce Wraps.
A little planning goes a long way when it comes to getting dinner on the table on a hectic weeknight. I like to take a look at my schedule for the week. Recipes like beef enchiladas or this easy stir fry dinner are for the nights I know our family will be eating at home. Setting aside a time to shop is also key for me. I am not a fan of last minute trips to the grocery store throughout the week.
Sign up to receive the latest recipes from amycaseycooks
and get my e-book 20 Tasty Salad Recipes for free!
the ingredients for Cashew Beef and Rice Lettuce Wraps
Lean ground beef, some of my favorite veggies and fluffy rice fill the lettuce leaves which serve as edible plates. But by all means, swap in vegetables like asparagus, corn, cabbage, or peas for this recipe that comes together in no time at all.
- Red bell pepper, zucchini, baby spinach, and mushrooms
- Lean ground beef ~ I use 93% lean ground beef
- Hoisin sauce, soy sauce, Asian garlic chili sauce
- Water chestnuts
- Pickled ginger, scallions, cashews, sesame seeds
- Cooked rice – get my foolproof recipe here
chef cooking tips for beef lettuce wraps in advance
Why do I love this recipe? Not only is it beyond delicious but, it can be prepped or even made entirely in advance.
- Brown the ground beef. Saute the vegetables. Season with sweet and spicy hoisin sauce, soy sauce and an extra spicy kick from Asian garlic chili sauce.
- Add a crunch to the filling from the addition of chopped water chestnuts. They don’t have a lot of flavor. But they add a crisp cool component to the recipe.
- Make a pot of rice.
- Cool the filling and rice and store separately in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- When it’s dinner time (or any time you get hungry for lettuce wraps) heat the beef and veggie filling and the rice and spoon into cool lettuce leaves.
If you make this delicious beef lettuce wraps, I’d love hearing from you all. Be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating ~ I do my best to reply to all your comments. And snap a photo to post to Instagram. I’ll add the photos to my Insta stories as I love seeing all your creations.
my videos ~ cauliflower rice pilafPrint
Lean ground beef and vegetables are browned and seasoned with hoisin sauce, sesame oil, and soy sauce and gets a spicy kick from pickled ginger and Asian chili garlic sauce. A crunch is added from the chopped water chestnuts and cashews. Served in cool lettuce leaves with fluffy rice, this handheld meal does not disappoint.
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil (can use canola or vegetable oil)
- 1 pound lean ground beef, 93% fat free
- 1 medium red pepper, diced
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 2 cups of mushrooms, diced
- 2 cups of baby spinach, packed
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Asian chili garlic sauce or more to taste
- 1 (8 ounces) can water chestnuts, drained and chopped
- 12 Boston butter, romaine or green leaf lettuce leaves, washed and dried
- Cooked rice, about 3 cups (use my foolproof recipe for fluffy rice)
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- Pickled ginger, chopped
- Roasted and salted cashews, chopped
- Sesame seeds
- Heat a large sauté pan to medium high heat and add 1 tablespoon oil. When the oil begins to shimmer, add the ground beef. Saute for 4 to 6 minutes breaking the meat into small pieces. When the meat is browned, remove it from the pan to a plate. Drain off any fat.
- In the same pan, add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil and the red pepper, zucchini, and mushrooms. Saute for 5 to 6 minutes or until just beginning to soften and becoming golden brown.
- Add back in the browned ground beef and stir to combine.
- Add the spinach and saute for 1 to 2 minutes. The spinach should wilt into the beef and vegetable mixture.
- Add the soy sauce, hoisin sauce, rice wine vinegar, and Asian chili garlic sauce. Stir to combine.
- Stir in the water chestnuts. Continue cooking until heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Arrange lettuce leaves around the outer edge of a large serving platter, and pile meat mixture in the center. To serve, spoon some of the rice and a portion of the meat into a lettuce leaf. Sprinkle with the scallions, pickled ginger, cashews and sesame seeds.
Make ahead directions ~ Brown the ground beef. Sauté the vegetables. Season with sweet and spicy hoisin sauce, soy sauce and an extra spicy kick from Asian garlic chili sauce. Add the chopped water chestnuts. Cool all the filling and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Wash the lettuce leaves, wrap in paper towels and store in the crisper drawer. When it’s dinner time (or any time you get hungry for lettuce wraps) heat the beef and veggie filling and the rice and spoon into cool lettuce leaves.
- Category: entree
- Method: saute
- Cuisine: Asian
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 562
- Sugar: 7.2 g
- Sodium: 489 g
- Fat: 16.7 g
- Saturated Fat: 4.3 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 61.1 g
- Fiber: 3.1 g
- Protein: 31.2 g
- Cholesterol: 65 mg
Keywords: beef lettuce wraps, lettuce wraps, Asian lettuce wraps