Spicy Jalapeno Chicken & Broccoli Stir Fry is just like your favorite Chinese takeout. But, a little spicy and a whole lot healthier.
After a busy day, it is tempting to call in an order for Chinese take out. Kung Pao chicken, vegetable fried rice, and egg rolls to a favorites in our house. But with planning, you can skip the often calorie laden and less than nutritious Asian take out dishes. Spicy Jalapeno Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry is a delicious dinner ready in about 30 minutes.
Asian recipes have always been some of my go-to recipes on event full nights at our house. They are quick to make, I can load with vegetables, and everyone in our family loves them. We also love Instant Instant Pot Asian Beef Stew and Better Than Takeout Fried Rice.
Spicy Jalapeno Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry has been a family favorite of ours for many years. It packs a spicy kick that is never quite achieved when ordering Chinese takeout. Florets blanched broccoli, tender chicken and just enough heat from jalapenos make the dish exciting to serve and eat.
Chef cooking tips making this spicy stir fry
A few tips are essential to remember when preparing this recipe.
- Cook the chicken until just done. Any longer than that and it gets tough and rubbery.
- Even a small amount of an ingredient adds a distinctive Asian flavor. The oyster sauce is just such an ingredient that gives this dish its authentic Chinese takeout taste.
- Blanching the broccoli florets for a few minutes helps it retain its bright green color. They also have a tender crisp bite.
- To make dinner time prep fly by, chop all the ingredients the night before serving.
Many Asian dishes are served with steamed rice. Other side dish options are available. Try roasted spaghetti squash, zucchini noodles or thin rice noodles. They only require a few minutes in boiling water to cook. Mound the cooked noodles on the serving plate. Top with the chicken and broccoli stir fry for a dramatic presentation.
Also, if you make this delicious chicken stir fry recipe, I’d love hearing from you. Be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating ~ I do my best to reply to all your comments. And snap a photo to post to Instagram. I’ll add the photos to my Insta stories as I love seeing all your creations.
Recent cooking videosPrint
Spicy Jalapeno Chicken & Broccoli Stir Fry is a little bit spicier and a whole lot healthier than your favorite Chinese takeout.
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 cup low sodium chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil (divided)
- 1 ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut in bite sized pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced, about 1/2 cup
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger root, finely chopped
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper,sliced thin, more if you like spicy!
- 4 cups broccoli florets (blanched for 3 minutes in boiling water)
- Sesame seeds and thinly sliced scallion
- 4 ounces thin rice noodles or rice– cooked according to package directions
- In a small bowl, combine the oyster sauce, soy sauce, chicken stock, and 1 tablespoon cornstarch. Set aside.
- Heat a large sauté pan or wok over medium high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of the sesame oil.
- When the oil begins to shimmer, add the chicken and stir fry until just cooked through, about 4 to 5 minutes. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon cornstarch and stir. Remove the chicken from the pan to a plate. Set aside.
- Add the remaining oil to the pan and heat to a shimmer. Add the garlic, onion, ginger, and jalapeno. Sauté for about 2 to 3 minutes to just begin to release their flavors and begin to soften.
- Add the stock mixture to the pan and cook until it begins to thicken, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the chicken and broccoli and stir just to coat.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and sliced scallion.
- Serve over the cooked rice or rice noodles.
Remove the seeds and the ribs of the jalapeno to make them less spicy.
- Category: entree
- Method: stir fry
- Cuisine: Chinese
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 442
- Sugar: 2.6 g
- Sodium: 552 mg
- Fat: 19.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 4.4 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 11.5 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 53.1 g
- Cholesterol: 151 mg
Keywords: stir fry, chicken and broccoli stir fry, healthy chicken and broccoli stir fry