This hearty and soup eats more like a comfort food entrée. Pasta e Fagioli, loaded with sausage, vegetables, and pasta, is fabulous to make ahead of time and have on hand for busy days and nights.
Preparing a meal or two in advance makes dinnertime a no stress affair. I like to have a couple quarts of a hearty soup such as Pasta e Fagioli on hand. Other make ahead meals I prepare include Sicilian Meatballs with Basil Marinara, Irish Lamb Stew with Parsnips and Carrots, and a super easy Instant Pot Creamy Green Enchilada Chicken Soup. That way I know a delicious dinner for my family just needs to be heated and served. And if friends stop by, I can offer a warm and comforting bowl of soup to restore energy and lift spirits at a moment’s notice.
what is pasta e fagioli?
Pasta e Fagioli is a classic stick-to-the-ribs Italian peasant soup. Its translation is “pasta and beans.” There are many variations of the dish. Some are more like soup with extra broth while others are thick and brimming with pasta.
the ingredients for pasta e fagioli
- Italian sausage
- reduced sodium chicken stock
- canned fire roasted tomatoes
- dried oregano, basil and thyme
- canned cannellini beans
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Parmesan cheese
how to make homemade pasta e fagioli
This version of Pasta e Fagioli includes small pasta, fennel flecked sausage, beans, tomatoes and vegetables. Like most soup recipes, it comes together quickly. Crumble and brown the Italian sausage in a stock pot. Then sauté aromatic vegetables including onions, carrots, celery and garlic until just tender.
Add the remaining ingredients including canned tomatoes, dried herbs, and cannellini beans. Then simmer to meld all the delicious Italian flavors. I like to prepare the small pasta such as ditalini or orzo separately and add it as the soup is simmering. That way it doesn’t soak up all of the stock.
A sprinkle of Parmesan cheese completes the robust soup. Add a loaf of warm Italian bread and a simply green salad for a satisfying meal on a busy night.
If you make this delicious soup recipe, I’d love hearing from you all. Be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating ~ I do my best to reply to all your comments. And snap a photo to post to Instagram. I’ll add the photos to my Insta stories as I love seeing all your creations.
my cooking videosPrint
This hearty and soup eats more like a comfort food entree. Pasta e Fagioli, loaded with sausage, vegetables, and pasta, is fabulous to make ahead of time and have on hand for busy days and nights.
- ½ cup orzo
- ½ pound Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups reduced sodium chicken stock
- 1 (15-ounce) can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, drained
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Grated Parmesan cheese for serving
- In a medium pot of boiling water, cook the pasta according to the directions. Drain and set aside.
- Heat a large stock pot to medium high heat and add the Italian sausage. Cook for 6 to 8 minutes breaking the sausage into small pieces as it cooks. When browned and cooked through, remove from the pot and set aside.
- In the same stock pot over medium high heat, add the onion, carrots, celery, and garlic. Saute for 5 to 6 minutes or until the onions are translucent and the vegetables begin to soften.
- Add the chicken stock, diced tomatoes, oregano, basil, thyme, and cannellini beans along with the cooked Italian sausage. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the cooked pasta and heat for another minute.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spoon soup into bowls and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
The soup can be prepared, cooled and refrigerated for up to 5 days or frozen for up to 1 month.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: entree
- Method: saute and simmer
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups
- Calories: 462
- Sugar: 6.4 g
- Sodium: 524 mg
- Fat: 11.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.5 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 61.4 g
- Fiber: 19.8 g
- Protein: 28.2 g
- Cholesterol: 32 mg
Keywords: pasta e fagioli, Italian soup recipe