Fire Roasted Salsa Chicken with Corn Chips also know as walking tacos, are a fun dinner including your favorite chicken taco ingredients.
With the crisp, cool days of fall, the riotous cheering at football games echos throughout towns across America. Thoughts turn to tailgating and parties revolving around the popular fall sport. Spending time with friends before a game while snacking on tasty tidbits and cold libations makes for a fun afternoon! Typical football party fare includes hamburgers, hotdogs, bratwursts, nachos, chili, jalapeno poppers, brownies, cookies and cupcakes. Add delicious and fun to eat Walking Tacos with Fire Roasted Salsa Chicken and Corn Chips to your game day menu.
What are walking tacos?
A popular treat on football weekends is “Walking Tacos.” Fill small bags of corn chips (aka Fritos) with spicy Mexican beef. Top with sour cream, cheddar cheese and chopped tomatoes. These portable meals are staples at many football concession stands and tailgates. I am always looking to put my personal stamp on recipes. Usually made with beef, I tweaked the traditional recipe and created a version with chicken and a homemade salsa.
What are the ingredients?
For my version of walking tacos, season thin chicken cutlets with lime juice. Sprinkle the chicken with a homemade spice rub of Mexican spices including cumin, smoked paprika, and chili powder. A quick turn on the grill adds a smoky char to the chicken.
The base for the sauteed salsa is flavor-packed canned fire roasted tomatoes; one of my favorite ingredients. The addition of onions, garlic, hot sauce, and sweet corn flavor the homemade salsa. Shred the spicy grilled chicken and mix it with the piquant salsa. The chicken and salsa mixture tops crunchy corn chips along with sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, and fresh cilantro.
Make the fun to eat treat ahead of time
Walking Tacos with Fire Roasted Salsa Chicken and Corn Chips will be a touchdown at your next tailgate or football party. With the chicken and toppings prepped in advance, a quick reheat is all that is needed to assemble the walking tacos. Besides the out-of-the-ordinary and uniqueness of the dish, the super simple clean up is a bonus.Print
A fun to eat snack or dinner featuring Mexican seasoned chicken, a homemade salsa with fire roasted tomatoes, cheddar cheese and sour cream served in individual corn chip bags.
- 4 boneless and skinless chicken breasts (about 2 pounds total)
- 3 1/2 teaspoons cumin (divided)
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- 1 lime (cut in half)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 4 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 cans (14.5 oz. each) fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce
- 1 cup corn
- 8 snack sized bags of corn chips such as Fritos
- sour cream
- shredded cheddar cheese
- chopped fresh cilantro
- Preheat grill or grill pan to medium high heat.
- Slice each chicken breast lengthwise into 2 thin cutlets.
- In a small bowl, combine 2 teaspoons of cumin, smoked paprika, chili powder, and salt. Rub chicken with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, squeeze lime juice over it and then rub with the spice mixture.
- Grill the chicken for about 3 to 4 minutes per side or until just cooked through. Remove from grill and shred into bite-sized pieces. Set aside.
- In a large sauté pan over medium high heat, add the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil. When the oil is shimmering, add the onions and garlic. Sauté for 5 to 6 minutes or until the onions are softened and beginning to lightly brown.
- Add the diced tomatoes, tomato paste, the remaining 1 ½ teaspoons of cumin, and hot sauce. Stir to combine and continue cooking for 4 to 5 minutes until the mixture is slightly thickened.
- Stir in the shredded chicken and corn and heat through, about and additional 3 to 4 minutes.
- To serve, cut each snack sized bag of corn chips open like a book. Top chips with a generous amount of the salsa chicken, a dollop of sour cream, and some of the shredded cheese. Sprinkle with cilantro. Serve.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: entree
- Serving Size: 1/8 of recipe + corn chips
- Calories: 518
- Sugar: 6.1 g
- Sodium: 998 mg
- Fat: 29.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 5.1 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 40.6 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 30 g
- Cholesterol: 84 mg
Keywords: walking tacos