Spring has finally sprung! With the first signs of warm weather, I like to head outside and get help from my grill when making dinner. Clean-up is a breeze when grilling as I don’t have all the pots and pans to wash. And as an added bonus, I can peel off my heavy down coat and enjoy some time outside after winter’s cold and dreary days lingered into early April.
A family favorite grill recipe is Scallion Garlic Steak and Potato Kebabs. They are a simple yet flavorful way to enjoy steak for dinner. As a mom of three kids with varying levels of adventure when it comes to eating, I know that they will try any food that is served on a skewer. It is just more fun to eat your meal on a stick. And my kids help with dinner prep as it is fun to thread the steak and vegetables on the skewers.
A quick marinade is all that is needed to add a flavor punch to the kebabs. Cubes of strip or sirloin steak are marinated in a bold sauce which includes lemon juice, soy sauce, fresh ginger root, garlic and scallions. Small potatoes are partially cooked in the microwave so they grill in the same amount of time as the faster cooking steak and red peppers. After about a total grilling time of about 8 – 10 minutes, the dinner is ready.
When making kebabs, follow a few simple tips for success each time you grill.
- Soak wooden skewers for 10 – 20 minutes so they will not burn. They help cut down on clean up because they are thrown away after dinner.
- Cut the meat and vegetables in pieces that are roughly the same size. That way it ensures the food will cook evenly and the kebabs will lay flat on the grill.
- Choose foods that cook at the same rate of time. If a food requires a longer cooking time, thread it on its own skewer so it can grill the extra time needed.
- Leave a little space between the pieces of food so it will cook evenly.
- Set aside some of the marinade to brush on the kebabs while grilling. This will add an extra boost of flavor.
- Let the kebabs rest for 5 minutes after grilling to ensure that the meat will be juicy.
Putting any food on a stick can make a meal festive. Head outdoors and grill a quick dinner of Scallion Garlic Steak and Potato Kebabs.Print
Scallion Garlic Steak and Potato Kebabs
- Yield: 4 1x
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 inch piece of ginger root (peeled and finely chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
- 2 scallions (white and green parts thinly sliced)
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 ½ pounds sirloin or strip steak (cut in 1 ½ inch cubes)
- 16 small white potatoes (about 1 ½ – 2 inches in size)
- 1 large red pepper (cut in 1 ½ inch pieces)
- 8 wooden skewers (soaked for 10 minutes before using)
- Heat a grill to medium high heat.
- In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, olive oil, ginger root, garlic, scallions, and pepper. Place the steak in a large resealable bag and add all but 2 – 3 tablespoons of the marinade. Set reserved marinade aside. Seal bag and marinate the steak for at least 15 minutes at room temperature or up to 4 hours in the refrigerator.
- Pierce the potatoes a few times and microwave at 30 minute intervals until they are tender when pierced with a sharp knife.
- Remove the steak from the marinade. Discard the marinade. Thread 4 cubes of steak, 2 potatoes and 2 pieces of the red pepper on each skewer. Grill skewers for about 2 minutes per side basting with the reserved marinade. Grill for a total of about 8 minutes for medium rare.
- Alternately, the skewers can be cooked in a preheated 450 degree oven for 2 minutes per side. Turn the oven to broil for the last 2 minutes to char the skewers.
Recipe by Amy Casey
© amycaseycooks – 2013
My cookbook is available on Amazon – Dinner for a Year
Leave a Reply