The best sandwiches start with great bread. For my Pineapple Slaw and Chicken Sandwiches, I like to use a hearty yet airy ciabatta loaf so the soy sauce and sweet pickle spiked mayonnaise has lots of nooks and crannies to hide in. A crunchy red cabbage slaw brimming with pineapples, celery, carrots and almonds is lightly dressed with olive oil and apple cider vinegar. The crunchy, sweet, and tangy slaw adds a myriad of tastes and textures to the dinnertime sandwich. It tops tender shredded chicken to complete the masterpiece.
Because of its hearty ingredients, Pineapple Slaw and Chicken Sandwiches can be made a few hours in advance. Assemble the sandwiches, wrap in plastic, and tuck in the refrigerator for up to 4 hours. The flavors of the ingredients will intensify and infuse throughout the sandwiches. When dinner time rolls around, they will be waiting to be served.
Lighten up your spring meals with a satisfying and extraordinary sandwich. Brimming with brightly colored vegetables and tender shredded chicken, Pineapple Slaw and Chicken Sandwiches are deliciously satisfying without being overly filling.Print
- 2 cups shredded red cabbage
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup chopped pineapple
- ½ cup thinly sliced celery
- ¼ cup slivered almonds
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup chopped sweet pickles
- 1 tablespoon juice from pickle jar
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Asian chile sauce or hot sauce
- 3 cups cooked and shredded chicken
- 1 large ciabatta or Italian loaf – about 14 inches long
- Make the pineapple slaw: In a medium bowl, add the cabbage, carrots, pineapple, celery, and almonds. Drizzle with the olive oil and apple cider vinegar and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper and set slaw aside.
- Make the soy sauce and sweet pickle mayonnaise: In a small bowl, add the mayonnaise, sweet pickles, pickle juice, soy sauce, and Asian chile sauce. Stir to combine and set aside.
- Assemble the sandwich: Slice the ciabatta lengthwise. Generously schmear both cut sides of the bread with the soy sauce and sweet pickle mayonnaise. On the bottom half of the bread, evenly place the shredded chicken. Top the chicken with the pineapple slaw. Place the top half of the bread on the sandwich and slice into 4 servings.
Recipe by Amy Casey
© amycaseycooks - 2014
- Category: entree