Fire up the grill to make this awesome recipe for chicken skewers. Cider Honey Chicken Skewers with Sweet Mustard Sauce are marinated in a sweet and savory apple cider and mustard sauce and served with a cool and delicious honey mustard dipping sauce.
recipe for chicken skewers
It’s that time of the year. Let’s head outside and fire up the grill for this delicious recipe for chicken skewers. Cider Honey Chicken Skewers with Sweet Mustard Sauce is an entrée on a busy evening. Or serve the fun to eat skewers as a scrumptious appetizer at your next party.
Sign up to receive the latest recipes from amycaseycooks
and get my e-book 20 Tasty Salad Recipes for free!
By varying the number of chicken pieces on each skewer, the recipe doubles as an entree or appetizer. 5 pieces of chicken on each of 12 bamboo skewers is ideal for an entree for 6. 3 pieces of chicken on each of 20 skewers will serve 20 as an appetizer.
ingredients for bbq chicken skewers
- Chicken thighs ~ choose skinless and boneless ones to streamline the prep
- Apple cider or hard cider
- Dijon mustard
- Worcestershire sauce
- Smoked paprika, chili powder, garlic powder, kosher salt, fresh ground pepper
- Sour cream
- Bamboo skewers – no clean up needed!
Boneless, skinless chicken thighs are terrific a recipe for chicken skewers on the grill. With a combo of white and dark meat, they are extra juicy and tender. With most of the ingredients already in well stocked kitchens, it’s a breeze to whisk up the marinade.
chef cooking tips for chicken skewers with a marinade
- Combine all the ingredients for the marinade in a glass jar with a tight fitting lid. The jar makes it easy to really shake up the marinade.
- For mess free marinating, place the cut up chicken pieces and the marinade in a large resealable bag. The marinade totally covers the chicken. And you can just toss the bag with the used marinade.
- If using bamboo skewers, soak for 25 to 30 minutes in water to prevent them from burning.
- My first choice to cook the skewers is to grill them outdoors. I love the smoky flavor a grill adds to food. But, a grill pan is a good substitute. As an alternative to grilling, bake the chicken in a 400 degree oven for 15 to 20 minutes. I like to place the chicken under the broiler for the last minute or so to add a slight char.
- Reduce the reserved marinade to produce a thick, rich and glossy basting sauce.
more summer time recipe ideas
Cucumber Watermelon Appetizers with Blue Cheese
If you make this delicious recipe for chicken skewers, I’d love hearing from you. Be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating ~ I do my best to reply to all your comments. And snap a photo to post to Instagram. I’ll add the photos to my Insta stories as I love seeing all your creations.Print
Pieces of boneless and skinless chicken thighs are marinated in a flavorful sauce of honey, hard cider and spicy Dijon mustard and threaded on wooden skewers. They can be grilled or baked. Serve with a delicious Sweet Mustard dipping sauce. Serves 6 as entrée or 12 as appetizer.
- For the chicken skewers
- 1/2 cup honey
- 3/4 cup hard cider or apple cider
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 8 to 10 boneless and skinless chicken thighs cut in 1-inch pieces
- For the dipping sauce
- ½ cup Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Chopped parsley for garnish
- Bamboo skewers soaked in water for 30 minutes before using
- In a 2 cup mason jar, combine the 1/2 cup honey, hard cider or apple cider, Worcestershire sauce, 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard, smoked paprika, chili powder, garlic powder, kosher salt and pepper. Tightly screw on the lid and give the marinade a good shake.
- In a large resealable bag, add 1/2 of the marinade and the chicken pieces. Seal the bag. Squish the chicken with the marinade so it is completely covered with the sauce.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to overnight.
- Cover and refrigerate the remaining marinade.
- Preheat grill or grill pan to medium high heat.
- Thread about 5 pieces of chicken on each of 12 skewers for an entree or 3 pieces of chicken on each of 20 skewers for an appetizer.
- Place the reserved marinade in a small saucepan over medium high heat and bring to a boil. Continue boiling for 5 to 8 minutes or until it is reduced by one-half.
- Grill the chicken for about 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- After the first turn, baste with the reduced sauce. Continue grilling, turning and basting for a total of 12 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine the 1/2 cup Dijon mustard, 3 tablespoons honey, and 1/2 cup sour cream for the dipping sauce. Set aside.
- Remove the chicken from the grill and place on a platter. Sprinkle with parsley and serve along with the Sweet Mustard Dipping Sauce.
As an alternative to grilling, the chicken can be baked in a 400 degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes. I like to place the chicken under the broiler for the last couple minutes to add a slight char.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes + 30 minutes for marinating
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: entree or appetizer
- Method: Grill or oven
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 2 entree skewers
- Calories: 507
- Sugar: 17.3 g
- Sodium: 519 mg
- Fat: 16.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 4.2 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 18.3 g
- Fiber: 0.6 g
- Protein: 34 g
- Cholesterol: 307 mg
Keywords: recipe for chicken skewers, honey chicken skewers, grilled chicken skewers
This recipe was originally posted in December 2013. Updates in December 2019 to include more descriptive preparation directions.