As in most households, everyone in my family likes to eat differently. Some love spicy Mexican food. Others could eat buttered noodles morning, noon and night. And a couple are happy to see last night’s dinner waiting in the refrigerator after coming home late from work. Grilled Balsamic Chicken with Olive and Tomato Salsa is one of those meals that can be customized to the tastes of the diners.
My two kids that are less than adventurous eaters ate the grilled chicken all by it self with a side of steamed rice. My “good eater” daughter topped her chicken with some of the tomato, cucumber, olive, and a good amount of feta. My husband ate a manly-sized helping of chicken with all the accouterments. I, on the other hand, eat more of the tomato, cucumber, olive and feta and less of the chicken. Watching my girly figure. 😉
Grilled Balsamic chicken with Olive and Tomato Salsa is a meals that can be prepared when you have a little extra time in your day. Marinate and grill the chicken, prepare the tomatoes and cucumbers, and crumble the feta ahead of time. Let the chicken cool and package it separately from the salsa and feta and store it in the refrigerator. When dinner time rolls around, you’ll be a star. The grilled chicken can be served at cold or heated up in the microwave on 70% power for 1 – 2 minutes or in the oven at 350 degrees for 10 – 15 minutes. Top with the olive and tomato salsa and a sprinkling of feta and dinner is served.
Your family will love you even more than they already do. And you can enjoy a glass of wine with your extra time.Print
- 2 pounds of boneless (skinless chicken breasts or tenderloins)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large tomato (diced)
- 2 kirby cucumbers (diced)
- 1/2 cup black olives
- 1/2 cup feta cheese (crumbled)
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, dried oregano, ground mustard, salt, and pepper. Place the chicken in a resealable bag and add about 3/4 of the vinaigrette. Seal bag and marinate chicken for 1 hour up to 4 hours.
- Heat a grill or grill pan to medium high. Remove the chicken from the vinaigrette and grill for about 5 – 6 minutes per side for the boneless breasts and 3 – 4 minutes per side for the tenderloins. Remove from grill/pan and cover with foil to keep warm.
- In a small bowl combine the tomato, cucumber, and olives and add the remaining 1/4 of the vinaigrette. Toss to coat.
- To serve, top grilled chicken with the olive and tomato salsa and some of the crumbled feta.
To prepare ahead – marinate and grill the chicken, prepare the olive and tomato salsa, and crumble the feta. Let the chicken cool and package it separately from the salsa and feta and store it in the refrigerator.
At dinner time, the grilled chicken can be served at cold or heated up in the microwave on 70% power for 1 – 2 minutes or in the oven at 350 degrees for 10 – 15 minutes. Top with the olive and tomato salsa and a sprinkling of feta.
Recipe by Amy Casey
© amycaseycooks – 2012