Easy Sausage, Spinach and Cheddar Breakfast Casserole is a cozy and perfect dish to serve a hungry breakfast crowd.
This past weekend, we had an awesome time with some overnight guests. My sister and her husband were in town. They joined us at the beach for a fun couple of days of eating, drinking, and socializing. I like to make a hearty breakfast for out-of-town guests. I whipped up my Easy Sausage, Spinach, and Cheddar Breakfast Casserole early on Saturday morning. Along with crumb topped blueberry muffins, breakfast was a hit. I love, love, love this casserole! It is so versatile. Adapt it to use whatever breakfast meats, veggies, and cheese you have hand.
ingredients for an easy sausage breakfast casserole
The base of the breakfast casserole is the same. Change up the “filling” ingredients with your favorites. This combo of ingredients is my go~to for an easy sausage breakfast casserole.
- salted butter
- breakfast sausage
- large eggs
- whole milk
- Dijon mustard
- baking powder
- kosher salt
- cheddar cheese
can you make the easy sausage breakfast casserole in advance?
You can make this breakfast casserole in advance. After baking, completely coo, cover the casserole with plastic wrap. and store in the refrigerator. When you would like a serve it, just reheat a piece on 60% power in the microwave for about 1 minute.
Alternately, you can prep the ingredients the day or night before assemble the casserole in the morning. Brown the breakfast sausage, sauté the spinach and grate the cheddar cheese in advance. Store the ingredients in the refrigerator, and they will be ready to go the morning you make the casserole. Just combine all the ingredients and in about 30 minutes breakfast is served.
why is my breakfast casserole runny?
It is important to precook the vegetables before adding them along with the other ingredients for a breakfast casserole. Vegetables contain a high percentage of water. When raw veggies cook in the casserole, they release the water and make your breakfast too liquidy. Giving the vegetables a quick sauté will solve this problem.
what are some other ingredients for easy breakfast casseroles?
The breakfast casserole has a few basic ingredients (which you most likely have on hand) including eggs, milk, Dijon mustard, baking soda, kosher salt and pepper. The recipe is very forgiving. Change up the add-in ingredients to make it include your favorites. Some options include cooked and crumbled bacon, diced ham, diced Canadian bacon, Swiss, pepper jack or herb goat cheese, steamed broccoli or asparagus, sautéed mushrooms or zucchini and finely diced fresh tomatoes.
more delicious breakfast recipe ideas
- Coconut Cinnamon French Toast Muffins with Blueberries
- Fruit and Yogurt Freezer Smoothies
- Great Aunt Rose’s Sour Cream Pound Cake
- Anytime Frittata
my cooking videos – blueberry bread pudding pancakes
If you make this easy breakfast casserole recipe, I’d love hearing from you all. Be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating ~ I do my best to reply to all your comments. And snap a photo to post to Instagram. I’ll add the photos to my Insta stories as I love seeing all your creations.Print
Easy Sausage, Spinach and Cheddar Breakfast Casserole is a cozy and perfect dish to feed a hungry breakfast crowd.
- Butter for greasing the baking dish
- 12 ounces breakfast sausage, casing removed
- 8 ounces baby spinach
- 10 large eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 2 quart baking dish with butter. Set aside.
- In a large saute pan over medium heat, add the breakfast sausage. Saute the sausage and break it up into little pieces as it cooks. Continue cooking for 8 to 10 minutes. The sausage should be browned and crispy in spots and cooked through. Remove from pan to a bowl and set aside.
- To the same saute pan over medium heat, add the baby spinach. Stir and cook the spinach until it just cooked and wilted. Remove the spinach from the pan and add it to the bowl with the sausage. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the eggs and whisk until combined. Whisk in the milk, mustard, baking powder, salt and pepper until thoroughly combined.
- Stir in the cooked sausage, spinach and cheddar cheese.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until the center is just set.
Adapt the recipe to include your favorite breakfast casserole ingredients. Some delicious options include cooked and crumbled bacon, diced ham, Swiss, pepper jack or goat cheese, steamed broccoli or asparagus, sauteed mushrooms or finely diced tomatoes (remove the seeds).
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stove top and oven
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/8 of dish
- Calories: 364
- Sugar: 1.6 g
- Sodium: 908 mg
- Fat: 28.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 12.1 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 2.8 g
- Fiber: 0.7 g
- Protein: 24.5 g
- Cholesterol: 299 mg
Keywords: breakfast casserole with sausage, quiche, egg casserole