Do you love chocolate and mint? Then these are the sweet treats for you! Start with scratch-made and incredibly dense brownies. Top with a minty buttercream layer and chocolate fudge frosting. This classic combination is a winner.
Chocolate Mint Brownies. This retro recipe has been around for oh-so-many years. During these crazy times we are living today (and for who knows how long) having recipes like this one is comforting.
I love to indulge in a sweet treat from time to time. Really more than from time to time, but who is keeping track. And there is rarely a day when there isn’t a few cookies stashed in the freezer or a pound cake on the cake stand or a pie in the refrigerator.
I shared my strawberry brownie recipe for Valentine’s Day. So this minty version ~ includes the same super dense and chocolatey brownie base ~ with a creamy mint buttercream layer and a chocolate fudge topping is perfect for St. Patrick’s Day.
Spend a little time in the kitchen and whip up this chocolate mint brownie recipe this weekend. They store beautifully in the refrigerator for 3 or maybe 4 days. But I can’t promise these super tasty brownies will last that long.
Chef baking tips for Chocolate Mint Brownies
- Have all the ingredients (especially the butter and eggs) at room temperature before starting. They will mix more easily than ones that are cold.
- I have used semi sweet chocolate chips in the brownie base. But feel free to experiment with milk chocolate or dark chocolate chips too.
- Check your brownies 5 minutes before the time the recipe says they are done. Every oven is different so baking times can vary.
- Thoroughly grease the baking pan with cooking spray or butter. This makes removing the brownies from the pan a breeze.
- Cool the brownies completely before frosting with the buttercream. A hot or even warm brownie will melt the butter in the frosting and make it too thin.
- Let the brownies sit out 5 minutes before cutting them into neat squares.
Recent videos ~ chocolate covered strawberry brownies
Also, if you make this delicious and fun brownie recipe, I’d love hearing from you. Be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating ~ I do my best to reply to all your comments. And snap a photo to post to Instagram. I’ll add the photos to my Insta stories as I love seeing all your creations.Print
Do you love chocolate and mint? Then these are the sweet treats for you! Start with scratch made and incredibly dense brownies. Top with a minty buttercream layer and a chocolate fudge frosting. This classic combination is a winner.
- For the brownies ~
- ¾ cup butter (melted)
- ¾ cup white sugar
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 eggs (lightly beaten)
- ¾ cup flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- For the mint buttercream ~
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 1/2 teaspoons mint extract
- 3 to 4 drops of green food coloring
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
- For the chocolate fudge topping ~
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8 x 8 inch baking pan with butter. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, hand mix the melted butter, white sugar, light brown sugar, and vanilla extract until blended.
- Add the eggs to the large bowl and stir until well combined.
- In a small bowl, whisk the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Add the ½ cup chocolate chips and toss to coat with the flour mixture.
- Gradually add the flour mixture to the sugar mixture and stir until the flour mixture is incorporated and no longer visible.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Spread to evenly distribute the batter.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out almost clean. A few fudgy crumbs sticking to the toothpick are okay. Remove from the oven and cool completely.
- For the mint buttercream, place the powdered sugar, butter, mint extract, and green food coloring in a bowl. Mix to combine then beat for 1 minute. Add 1 to 2 tablespoons of milk to thin to a spreadable consistency. Spread on top of the cooled brownies.
- For the chocolate fudge topping, place the 1 cup of chocolate chips and butter in an ovenproof bowl. Microwave at 20 second intervals, stirring in between, until melted and smooth. Allow to cool for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Spread the chocolate fudge over the mint buttercream.
- Refrigerate until the chocolate is hardened and the mint buttercream is set, about 30 to 45 minutes.
- Remove from refrigerator and cut into 16 squares.
- Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container up to 3 days…..if they last that long 🙂
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 brownie
- Calories: 276
- Sugar: 34.1 g
- Sodium: 127 mg
- Fat: 15.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 9.6 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 37.1 g
- Fiber: 0.9 g
- Protein: 1.4 g
- Cholesterol: 38 mg
Keywords: mint brownies, st. patricks day brownies, green mint brownies