A delicious and hearty chickpea salad with a fresh herb vinaigrette, cherry tomatoes and Parmesan cheese compliments any meal.
When I make dinner, the entree usually takes center stage. Other times, I let the side dish be the star of the meal. Chickpea Salad with Fresh Herb Vinaigrette is one such side dish that deserves its moment in the spotlight. Having this hearty and quick-to-make recipe for chickpea salad on hand makes for easy meal planning. Add lemon and thyme chicken, spicy barbecue pork tenderloin sliders, or java dry rub steaks and your dinner will be delicious.
What ingredients are in the chickpea salad?
Chickpea Salad with Fresh Herb Vinaigrette is a favorite of my personal chef clients.
- The main ingredient are chickpeas aka garbanzo beans. Not a fan of chickpeas? Use any bean you would like. Try kidney beans, black beans or cannellini beans.
- The fresh herbs add more flavor than their dried counterparts. But, by all means substitute dried herbs if you do not have fresh ones.
- A sprinkling of salty and sharp tasting Parmesan cheese compliments the nutty taste of the chickpeas.
- A few sweet grape tomatoes and crunchy red pepper chunks round out the salad that stays fresh in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days.
serving suggestions for chickpea salad
I like to serve the bean and tomato salad just as is. But the side dish is versatile.
- Serve it over mixed greens, chopped romaine or baby spinach for a delicious lunch.
- Add a scoop of the salad over chilled quinoa, farro, barley or rice for a fiber packed dish. This is one of my favorite salads to take to work.
- As it is fresh tasting and really fills me up, I can make it to dinner time without snacking.
I love knowing I have a batch of Chickpea Salad with Fresh Herb Vinaigrette in the refrigerator. It will be waiting for its chance to be the star of my next lunch or dinner.Print
A delicious and hearty chickpea salad with a fresh herb vinaigrette, cherry tomatoes and Parmesan cheese is a compliment to any meal.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- dash of hot sauce
- 4 tablespoons fresh chopped herbs such as parsley, dill, cilantro
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 medium red pepper, chopped
- 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
Serve at room temperature or chilled. Keeps fresh in refrigerator for 3 to 4 days.
Serve the salad as is or over mixed greens, farro, quinoa, rice or barley.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Category: salad
- Method: no cook
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: about 1 cup
- Calories: 199
- Sugar: 8.3 g
- Sodium: 544 mg
- Fat: 10.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 3 g
- Unsaturated Fat: ~
- Trans Fat: ~
- Carbohydrates: 19.4 g
- Fiber: 1.8 g
- Protein: 9 g
- Cholesterol: 10 mg
Keywords: recipe for chickpea salad, chickpea salad
This post was originally posted in April, 2012. It was updated in January, 2020 with new photos, a video and in depth recipe preparation explanation.