When brainstorming recipes for my blog, I consider several criteria.
- I like to share dishes that are generally healthy.
- I want to be in and out of the kitchen in a timely manner. Meals that take about 30 minutes to prepare get my thumbs up.
- I am fond of recipes that can be made ahead of dinner time and just need to be heated and enjoyed.
- I feel that our family of 5 eats like many other families. The recipes in my articles are ones that I would make for my own family.
- Lastly, dinner should be memorable; even a dinner on an average Wednesday night. I like recipes that are a twist on an old classic or just a really great version of the original recipe.
Chicken, Sweet Corn and Black Bean Tortilla Stacks hit all the high points of a perfect meal. They are loaded with healthy ingredients. At about 40 minutes of total prep and cooking times, dinner can be on the table in under an hour. The stacks can be made ahead of time and stashed in the refrigerator. Heat the until a melty and cheesy goodness before serving. This is a favorite of my family of 5 as it is a twist on a Mexican classic recipe for burritos or soft tacos.
This is a perfect recipe to get a hand from the kids when making. I myself have decided that I will be enlisting my teenage son’s help more often when it comes to making dinner. As his two sisters have headed off to college, I will have extra time to spend showing him how to cook. Some day he will thank me. From the chopping of the onions and tomatoes, the grating of the cheese, the sautéing of the ingredients, to the layering of the tortilla stacks, all ages of kids can learn the ins and outs of getting a healthy dinner on the table.
Tortillas are layered with shredded chicken, corn, black beans and cheddar cheese for a delicious and fun to eat appetizer or light dinner.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion (diced)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/2 jalapeno (seeded and minced)
- 1 cup corn
- 2 cups tomato (diced, divided)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 15 ounce can black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 cup cooked chicken (shredded)
- cooking spray
- 6 flour tortillas (6 inches each)
- 2 cups cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 2 tbsp cilantro (chopped)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat a large saute pan to medium high heat and add olive oil. When the oil just begins to shimmer, add the onion, garlic, jalapeno, and corn. Saute for 5 to 6 minutes or until the onions are softened.
- Add 1 cup of diced tomato, cumin and salt and continue to saute for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stir in the black beans and chicken and continue cooking until heated through. Remove from heat.
- Spray to 8 inch cake pans with cooking spray.
- Place one tortilla in the bottom or each pan. Top with a generous 1/2 cup of the black bean and chicken mixture and 1/3 cup of the cheddar cheese.
- Continue with 2 more layers of the black bean and chicken mixture and the cheddar cheese.
- Bake for about 15 to 20 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven and let cool for about 5 minutes.
- Cut each tortilla stack into 4 wedges.
- Sprinkle with the remaining diced tomatoes and cilantro. Serve with the sour cream.
Recipe by Amy Casey ~ 2018
© 2018 amycaseycooks
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Appetizer, Main Course
- Cuisine: Mexican
Chicken, Sweet Corn, and Black Bean Tortilla Stacks are an easy to prepare and delicious dinner to enjoy with your family.