As soon as the first cool fall days are upon us, I have the urge to bake something with apples. Apple crumb bars, apple cheese turnovers, apple cinnamon bundt cake, and maple apple muffins are just a few recipes I have in my “to make” pile on my desk.
Last night a bag of McIntosh apples was calling my name along with the Pillsbury pie crust I have had waiting in my refrigerator for just the right pie. I usually like to make my crust from scratch, but in a pinch the pre-made crusts do the trick. We are fans of the crumb topped desserts in our house so an Apple Crumb Pie was on tap for my evening of baking.
The pie comes together quickly with the prep consisting of peeling and slicing the apples, tossing them with some sugar, a few spices, and flour, filling the crust and topping the pie with a brown sugar and butter crumb topping. An hour in the oven is all that is needed for this perennial fall treat. One of the keys to a perfect apple pie is baking it on the lowest rack position in the oven and on top of a pizza stone. This ensures that the crust will not be soggy.
The pie came out of the oven after my family headed to bed so I got the first slice this morning for breakfast. I am sure the Apple Crumb Pie will be devoured as soon as my family gets home. I may have another piece now before it disappears 😉Print
Apple Crumb Pie
- Yield: 8 1x
- for the pie —
- 1 crust from a 15-ounce package rolled refrigerated unbaked piecrust
- 7 cups sliced (peeled McIntosh apples (about 2–1/2 pounds))
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- for the crumb topping-
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons butter (melted)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Move oven rack to the lowest position in the oven. Place a pizza stone on the rack.
- Unroll piecrust into a 9-inch pie plate. Crimp the edge of the crust.
- Place apples in a large bowl and toss with sugar, flour, cinnamon, allspice, and nutmeg.
- In a separate bowl mix crumb topping ingredients of flour, sugars, cornmeal, and cinnamon. Stir in melted butter until combined and crumbs form.
- Transfer apple mixture to the piecrust-lined pie plate. Sprinkle with crumb topping. To prevent over browning, cover edge of pie with foil. Place pie on a parchment lined baking sheet. Place on top of the preheated pizza stone.
- Bake for 40 minutes. Remove foil. Bake for 20 minutes more or until apples are tender and filling is bubbly.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: apple pie, apple pie recipe, apple crumb pie
Leave a Reply