This scrumptious dinner recipe for Shrimp with Roasted Tomato Sauce and Goat Cheese is easy enough for a weeknight dinner or perfect for a fancy dinner party.
>>Scroll down for my step by step video<<
Kudos to my stepmom for this roasty, garlicky and creamy shrimp recipe. She is a fantastic cook and prepared this dish for our family when we were vacationing at the Jersey Shore many years ago. As I always keep a frozen bag of shrimp in the freezer, I can whip up this delicious recipe with shrimp simmered in a roasted garlic tomato sauce with creamy goat cheese and fresh basil any night of the week.
Sign up to receive the latest recipes from amycaseycooks
and get my e-book 20 Tasty Salad Recipes for free!
gather the ingredients for this shrimp recipe
- large plum tomatoes
- extra virgin olive oil
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- shrimp ~ pick up some in the freezer section of the grocery store
- white wine
- reduced sodium chicken stock
- goat cheese
- fresh basil
- Parmesan cheese
I am a fan of easy dinner recipes that get a jump start in the oven. The base for the sauce ~ tomatoes, garlic and onions ~ roast in the oven. Wine and chicken stock add a complex and concentrated flavor to the sauce. Also, a generous amount of tangy goat cheese makes the sauce extra creamy.
cooking tips for shrimp in tomato sauce with goat cheese
- Roasting of the tomatoes is essential. It enhances and intensifies the flavor of even the most ho hum tomatoes. Along with a generous amount of garlic and onions, the roasted tomatoes make a splendid base for the sauce. The natural sweetness of the ingredients emerges as they are roasted.
- Use a white wine that you like to drink. A Chardonnay, Pinot Grigio, or Sauvignon Blanc all are wonderful in the recipe. Just skip the “cooking wine” available at the grocery store. It contains salt and does not have a pleasant taste.
- Frozen shrimp are perfect for this recipe. I love that they are readily available year round in the freezer section of the grocery store. Keep a 2 pound bag of frozen large shrimp on hand. Thaw the crustaceans quickly ~ just place in a bowl of cold water for about 15 minutes.
- Crumble the goat cheese before adding it to the sauce. It will be easier to stir into the tomato and wine sauce and adds a hint of creaminess. Cream cheese can be substituted for the goat cheese if you would like.
- A handful of herby basil is my first choice for this recipe. But in a pinch, substitute a teaspoon of dried basil.
Serve this shrimp recipe over pasta (regular or zucchini) or with a loaf a crusty bread to sop up all the delicious sauce. Or it can be enjoyed just as is with a side of your favorite vegetables.
my cooking videos ~ shrimp with roasted tomato sauce and goat cheese
If you make this delicious shrimp in roasted tomato sauce recipe, I’d love hearing from you all. Be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating ~ I do my best to reply to all your comments. And snap a photo to post to Instagram. I’ll add the photos to my Insta stories as I love seeing all your creations.
more seafood recipe ideas
- Mussels marinara
- Korean barbecue shrimp
- Sheet pan maple salmon, sweet potatoes and Brussels sprouts
- Manhattan clam chowder
Shrimp simmer in a roasted tomato sauce with garlic and creamy goat cheese. This recipe is perfect for a fancy dinner or easy to make for a weeknight supper. It gets rave reviews!
- 5 large plum tomatoes, about 5 cups chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 medium onion, about 2 cups sliced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- ½ cup white wine
- 1 ¾ cups reduced sodium chicken stock
- 2 pounds large shrimp, 21 – 25 per pound, peeled and deveined
- ¼ pound goat cheese, crumbled
- 10 basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup packed Parmesan cheese, freshly shredded ~ plus more for serving
- Pasta and/or bread for serving
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. On a large baking sheet toss tomatoes, garlic, and onion with the olive oil, salt, and pepper. Roast for 40 minutes, stirring after 20 minutes.
- Heat a large sauté pan to medium high and add the roasted tomato mixture.
- Add the white wine and bring to just boiling. Cook for about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock and bring the sauce to a simmer.
- Add shrimp and cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until they are just cooked through.
- Add the crumbled goat cheese and stir until it is melted.
- Stir in the basil and Parmesan cheese.
- Season to taste and serve as is, over pasta or with bread.
- Category: entree
- Method: oven roast and stove top saute
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
- Calories: 418
- Sugar: 7.5 g
- Sodium: 917 mg
- Fat: 19.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 9.6 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 15.3 g
- Fiber: 2.2 g
- Protein: 45.1 g
- Cholesterol: 255 mg
Keywords: shrimp with tomato sauce, shrimp and goat cheese, dinner ideas
This recipe was originally posted in February 2013. Updates include photos, cooking tips and nutrition information.