All the goodness of a reuben sandwich, but in an easy to make and delicious reuben casserole recipe. Layer marbled rye bread, corned beef, sauerkraut, homemade 1000 island dressing, and Swiss cheese in a baking dish and bake until hot, crispy, and melty. Ideal for a comforting and homey lunch or dinner.
why I love this recipe
This reuben casserole recipe was a creation for a reuben sandwich loving personal chef client family. They wanted all the goodness of the sandwich, but in an easy to reheat version. And it stays delicious in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Just like a reuben sandwich, the corned beef, sauerkraut, homemade 1000 island dressing and Swiss cheese are layered between rye bread.
None of the deliciousness of the sandwich is lost in the reuben casserole recipe. The ingredients are stacked in a 9 x 13 baking dish. Easy peasy!
Layering the ingredients of a reuben sandwich in a baking dish makes for an easy comfort food meal.
- salted butter
- marble rye bread ~ Try dark rye, pumpernickel or light rye.
- cooked corned beef ~ My easy Instant Pot recipe is below. Leftover corned beef or stored bought sliced corned beef from the deli are great substitutes.
- sweet pickle relish ~ Or finely chop sweet or bread and butter pickles.
- Swiss cheese ~ Gruyere or fontina cheese are tasty alternatives.
- fresh parsley
Scroll down to the recipe card for full quantities of the ingredients.
- I love swirl of color in marble rye. Other varieties of bread are also tasty in the recipe. Plain or caraway seeded rye and pumpernickel are delicious options.
- Making and shredding a whole corned beef makes for the best reuben casserole. Scroll down for my foolproof Instant Pot recipe for tender corned beef. But thinly sliced deli corned beef can stand in as a suitable substitute.
- Drain the sauerkraut so the casserole isn't soggy.
- Homemade dressings take only a few ingredients to make and are in well stocked pantries. Whipping up a delicious 1000 island dressing takes less than a minute. A store bought dressing of this creamy dressing is also an alternative.
how to make corned beef in an Instant Pot
Using an Instant pot is my first choice for cooking the corned beef. It's a super easy and relatively speedy cooking method for tender corned beef that shreds beautifully.
Add a 4 pound corned beef, 12 ounces of beer, 2 cups of water, and a large sliced onion to an Instant Pot. Set the pressure to High and the timer for 90 minutes.
After a natural release of 10 minutes, release the remaining pressure. Remove the corned beef and shred. There will be enough for the reuben casserole and even some leftover for snacking.
step by step recipe details
I love that this recipe is easy to toss together. It's just a layering of the ingredients.
Start off by tossing the bread cubes with melted butter and putting half in a large baking dish. I use a ceramic 9 x 13 inch baking dish so the casserole looks pretty going from the oven to the dinner table.
Next spread the corned beef on top of the bread cubes followed by the sauerkraut.
Make the quick homemade 1000 island dressing. Combine mayonnaise, ketchup, and sweet pickle relish. Spread the dressing evenly over the kraut.
Now's my favorite part ~ adding the cheese! Sprinkle half of the Swiss cheese evenly over the dressing.
Add the remaining butter covered cubes of bread. Distribute the remainder of the cheese on top of the casserole.
Bake until the casserole to hot and the cheese is melted.
I serve the reuben casserole straight from the oven after cutting it into big squares.
suggestions and tips
- Shred the Swiss cheese either by hand or with a food processor. It will be much fresher tasting than the preshredded variety and melts beautifully.
- The casserole stays fresh in the refrigerator up to 3 days. Reheat leftovers in the microwave. Use 60% power for 1 to 2 minutes until the reuben casserole is hot and the cheese is melty.
more comfort food recipes to try
just one more thing
If you make this delicious reuben casserole, I’d love hearing from you.
Be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating ~ I do my best to reply to all your comments. And snap a photo to post to Instagram. I’ll add the photos to my Insta stories as I love seeing all your creations.Print
All the crazy goodness of a reuben sandwich, but in an easy to make and delicious Reuben Casserole. Layer marbled rye bread, corned beef, sauerkraut, 1000 island dressing, and Swiss cheese in a baking dish and bake until hot, crispy, and melty. Ideal for a comforting lunch or dinner.
- 4 tablespoons salted butter, melted, plus more for greasing baking dish
- 8 slices of marble rye bread, cut in 1 inch cubes
- 1 pound of cooked corned beef, shredded
- 2 cups of sauerkraut, drained
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- fresh parsley, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a 9 x 13 inch baking dish with butter. Set aside.
- Place the bread cubes in a large bowl. Add the melted butter and toss to coat.
- Place one half of the bread cubes evenly in the bottom of the baking dish.
- Evenly distribute the corned beef on top of the bread cubes.
- Evenly distribute the sauerkraut on top of the corned beef.
- In a small bowl, make the 1000 island dressing. Add the mayonnaise, ketchup, and sweet pickle relish and stir to combine. Spread the dressing evenly over the sauerkraut.
- Sprinkle one half of the Swiss cheese evenly over the dressing.
- Evenly distribute the remaining bread cubes over the Swiss cheese.
- Sprinkle the remainder of the Swiss cheese over the bread cubes.
- Bake in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until the casserole to hot and the cheese is melted.
- Remove the casserole from the oven and sprinkle with parsley. Cut into squares and serve.
- Making and shredding a whole corned beef makes for the best reuben casserole. But thinly sliced deli corned beef can stand in as a suitable substitute.
- Homemade dressings are much more flavorful and take only a few ingredients to make. Whipping up a delicious 1000 island dressing takes less than a minute with pantry ingredients. A store bought dressing of this creamy dressing is an acceptable alternative.
- Make sure to shred the Swiss cheese either by hand or with a food processor. It will be much fresher tasting than the preshredded variety.
- Any leftovers reheat beautifully in the microwave. Use 60% power for 1 to 2 minutes until the reuben casserole is hot and the cheese is melty.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: entree
- Method: bake in oven
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/8 of recipe
- Calories: 406
- Sugar: 6 g
- Sodium: 1231 mg
- Fat: 28.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 12.7 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 21.1 g
- Fiber: 2.3 g
- Protein: 17.3 g
- Cholesterol: 81 mg
Keywords: reuben casserole, dinner recipes, reuben casserole recipe