Capicola Chicken in White Wine Sauce is an easy yet impressive entrée. It's a delicious chicken recipe that's perfect for a weeknight supper the whole family will love or weekend dinner party with friends.
A frequent question I get is what is my favorite dish to make. I have prepared several thousand recipes over the years. It's difficult to choose just one. Favorites likes my one pan lemon chicken and this baked cod with crispy panko are recipes I make on repeat to rave reviews.
But when I am looking for an easy yet impressive dish, I prepare a simple sauteed chicken recipe. Capicola Chicken in White Wine Sauce is one of my go to dinner recipes.
Tender chicken is topped with delicately spiced and slightly smoky capicola in a wine sauce enhanced with butter and lemon juice. A sprinkle of Parmesan cheese and fresh parsley finish the amazing dish.
Add this delicious, easy recipe to your cooking repertoire. It makes dining at home feel like date night at a gourmet restaurant.
table of contents
Many of my favorite recipes like these Italian sausage, pepper and onion kabobs and mussels marinara include only a few quality ingredients. This chicken with a white wine pan sauce also has just a handful of flavor packed ingredients.
- Thin boneless, skinless chicken breasts – One of my go to meats for making quick dinner recipes is boneless and skinless chicken breasts. Thin pieces cook in no time and remain moist and juicy.
- Kosher salt - Kosher salt has larger grains than table salt making it less salty. The larger grains make it is easier to control how much is sprinkled on the chicken.
- Fresh ground pepper – Grind your own pepper in a pepper mill for the freshest flavor.
- Capicola – An Italian cured meat, capicola is slightly spicy and salty. Substitutes include prosciutto, salami, pepperoni or good quality ham.
- Olive oil – This kitchen staple enhances the flavor of food and has many health benefits.
- Salted butter – Use salted butter for the dish. And my preference is Irish butter such as Kerry Gold.
- White wine – Cook with the wine you like to drink. I use a dry white wine such as Chardonnay in this chicken recipe. Also try Pinot Grigio or Sauvignon Blanc.
- Fresh parsley - Other fresh herbs such as thyme, rosemary, basil and oregano are tasty alternatives. In a pinch, 1 teaspoon of Italian herb blend can be substituted.
- Parmesan cheese - Try Grano Padano, Asiago or Romano cheeses too.
Scroll to the recipe card for full quantities of the ingredients.
The steps for this chicken recipe are easy. Dinner will be on the table in 30 minutes. This is just a brief overview as the printable recipe below has complete directions.
- Season chicken with kosher salt and pepper. Top with a slice of capicola. Dredge in flour.
- Sauté the chicken in olive oil and butter. Place on a plate. Cover with aluminum foil.
- Add the white wine to the pan. Scrape up any browned bits in the the bottom of the pan. Reduce the liquid by 1/4.
- Add the lemon juice and remaining butter. Stir to melt the butter. Season the sauce to taste with kosher salt and butter.
- Add the chicken back to the pan. Spoon sauce over the chicken. Simmer for 2 -3 minutes.
- Sprinkle the chicken with chopped fresh parsley and finely shredded Parmesan cheese.
Hint: Ask for thinly sliced capicola from the deli. The thin slices of the Italian deli meat will crisp up around the ends when cooking and add delicious flavor.
- For tender chicken that cooks quickly, thinly slice the chicken breasts into about 3 to 4 ounce pieces.
- To sauté the chicken, use a combination of olive oil and salted butter. Because the oil can be heated to a much higher temperature than butter, combining the two allows you to raise the temperature without burning the butter. This allows the butter to add wonderful flavor and a golden brown crust to the chicken.
- Skip the cooking wine. Use a wine in your cooking that you would want to drink. Cooking wine is usually loaded with sugar, salt, and preservatives.
what to serve with it
Round out this easy to make chicken dinner recipe a simple green vegetable. Steam broccoli florets or green beans or sauté Brussels sprouts or zucchini. Add some fluffy rice or cheddar stuffed potatoes and a loaf of crusty bread for a complete meal.
Place the chicken breast on a cutting board. Slice it horizontally into thin cutlets that are about 1/2 inch thick.
It's possible to make this recipe without wine. Substitute 1 cup of reduced sodium chicken stock.
just one more thing
If you make this chicken in white wine sauce recipe, I’d love hearing from you all.
Be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a star rating ~ I do my best to reply to all your comments. And snap a photo to post to Instagram. I’ll add the photos to my Insta stories as I love seeing all your creations.Print
Capicola Chicken in White Wine Sauce is an easy yet impressive entrée. It's a delicious chicken recipe that's perfect for a weeknight supper or weekend dinner party.
- 8 thin chicken cutlets, about 3 oz each
- Kosher salt
- Fresh ground pepper
- 8 thin slices of capicola
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 tablespoons salted butter, divided
- 1 cup white wine
- Juice of 1/2 lemon, about 1 tablespoon
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 to 3 tablespoons of freshly shredded Parmesan cheese
- Place the chicken on a cutting board and season with both sides with kosher salt and pepper. Place 1 slice of capicola on top of each piece of chicken. Press down lightly.
- Place about ¼ cup of flour in a large shallow plate. Dredge the chicken in the flour and set aside.
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon each of olive oil and butter.
- When the butter has melted and is shimmering, add chicken to pan with the capicola side down. Sauté the chicken in 2 batches adding more olive oil and butter if needed.
- Sauté the chicken for 2 to 3 minutes per side or until golden brown and just cooked through. Remove the chicken to a plate. Cover with foil to keep warm.
- Turn the heat up to medium high under the same sauté pan. Add 1 cup of white wine and scrap up any bits on the bottom of the pan. Bring the wine to a gentle boil can cook for 3 - 4 minutes. The wine should be reduced by about ¼. Stir occasionally.
- Add the lemon juice. Turn the heat to low and add the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter. Stir the sauce until the butter has melted and is incorporated. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Return the chicken to the pan and coat with the sauce. Cover and let simmer for 2 to 3 minutes.
- To serve, remove the chicken from the pan and drizzle the sauce over the top. Sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley and the Parmesan cheese.
Thinly slice the chicken into about 3 to 4 ounce pieces. The chicken will cook up quickly and remain tender.
To sauté the chicken, use a combination of olive oil and salted butter. Because the oil can be heated to a much higher temperature than butter, combining the two allows you to raise the temperature without burning the butter. This allows the butter to add wonderful flavor and a golden brown crust to the chicken.
Skip the cooking wine. Use a wine in your cooking that you would want to drink. Cooking wine is usually loaded with sugar, salt, and preservatives.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: entree
- Method: stove top - saute
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: 2 chicken cutlets
- Calories: 455
- Sugar: 1.2 g
- Sodium: 434 mg
- Fat: 18.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.2 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 5.6 g
- Fiber: 0.2 g
- Protein: 46.7 g
- Cholesterol: 146 mg
Keywords: easy chicken recipe, chicken in white wine sauce, dinner ideas, chicken breast boneless recipes