Chicken with Capicola and White Wine & Butter Sauce. An easy yet impressive entree, this chicken in a white wine sauce is perfect for either a weeknight dinner or weekend dinner party.
A frequent question I get is what is my favorite dish to make. I have prepared several thousand recipes. Therefore, it is difficult to choose just one. But, when I am looking for an easy yet impressive dish, I prepare a simple yet impressive chicken in white wine sauce recipe. Chicken with Capicola and White Wine & Butter Sauce is one of my go to dinner recipes. Having this delicious recipe in your repertoire will make dining at home feel like you are eating at a gourmet restaurant.
the ingredients in the easy chicken dish
Many of my favorite recipes (like Chicken Pomodoro and Mussels Marinara) include only a few quality ingredients. And that is also the case with this quick to make chicken in white wine sauce recipe.
- Thin boneless, skinless chicken breasts – One of my go to meats for making quick dinner recipes is boneless and skinless chicken breasts. Thin pieces cook in no time and remain moist and juicy. If the breasts are large, slice them horizontally into thin cutlets of about 3 to 4 ounces each.
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper – To get the most flavor out of the salt and pepper used in a recipe, I recommend using kosher salt and freshly ground pepper. Kosher salt has larger grains than table salt making it less salty. The larger grains make it is easier to control how much is sprinkled on the chicken. Grind your own pepper in a pepper mill for the freshest flavor.
- Capicola – An Italian cured meat, capicola is slightly spicy and salty. Make sure to purchase thin slices from the deli counter. By all means, substitute prosciutto, salami, or good quality ham to make the recipe your own.
- Extra virgin olive oil – It is best to sauté with olive oil.
- Salted butter – Use salted butter for the dish. And my preference is Irish butter such as Kerry Gold.
- Chardonnay – Cook with the wine you like to drink. That is to say, use a good wine in the sauce. I’m not recommending a $50 bottle of wine. But, Kendall Jackson or Coppola are perfect for the recipe and also to enjoy with your dinner.
chef cooking tips for chicken in white wine sauce with capicola
- Thinly slice the chicken into about 3 to 4 ounce pieces. The chicken will cook up quickly and remain tender.
- Ask for thinly sliced capicola from the deli. The thin slices of the Italian deli meat will crisp up around the ends when cooking and add delicious flavor.
- Use a combination of olive oil and butter to saute the chicken. The oil has a higher smoking point letting you cook at a medium heat. The butter adds wonderful flavor and a golden brown crust to the chicken.
- Skip the cooking wine. Use a wine in your cooking that you would want to drink. Cooking wine is usually loaded with sugar, salt, and preservatives. Who needs that added to your wine?
- A squeeze of lemon juice and a sprinkle of fresh chopped parsley add a brightness and flavor to the dish.
- Make sure to freshly shredded Parmesan cheese. Grating or shredding your own cheese not only is tastier but, packaged shredded cheeses are coated with cellulose or wood pulp to prevent it from clumping together. I’ll pass on the wood in my food.
Sign up to receive the latest recipes from amycaseycooks
and get my e-book 20 Tasty Salad Recipes for free!
Serve Chicken Capicola with White Wine & Butter Sauce with a simple green vegetable and jasmine rice or roasted herb potatoes. Steam Broccoli florets or asparagus spears or saute Brussels sprouts or zucchini.
If you make this chicken in white wine sauce recipe, I’d love hearing from you all. Be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating ~ I do my best to reply to all your comments. And snap a photo to post to Instagram. I’ll add the photos to my Insta stories as I love seeing all your creations.
my videos ~ prosciutto and provolone stuffed chickenPrint
Chicken Capicola in White Wine and Butter Sauce
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
An easy yet impressive entrée, Chicken with Capicola in White Wine & Butter Sauce is perfect for either a weeknight dinner or weekend dinner party.
- 8 thin chicken cutlets, about 3 oz each
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 8 thin slices of capicola
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 tablespoons salted butter, divided
- 1 cup Chardonnay
- Juice of ¼ lemon
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 to 3 tablespoons of freshly shredded Parmesan cheese
- Place the chicken on a cutting board and season with both sides with kosher salt and pepper. Place 1 slice of capicola on top of each piece of chicken. Press down lightly.
- Place about ¼ cup of flour in a large shallow plate. Dredge both sides of the chicken in the flour and set aside.
- Heat a large saute pan over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon each of olive oil and butter. When the butter has melted and is shimmering, add chicken to pan with the capicola side down. Make sure not to crowd the pan. If necessary, saute the chicken in 2 batches adding more olive oil and butter if needed. Saute the chicken for 2 to 3 minutes per side or until golden brown and just cooked through. Remove the chicken from the pan and place on a plate. Cover with foil to keep warm.
- Turn the heat up to medium high under the same saute pan. Add 1 cup of Chardonnay. Scrap up any bits on the bottom of the pan. Bring the wine to a gentle boil can cook for 3 to 4 minutes. The wine should be reduced by about ¼. Stir occasionally.
- Add the juice of ¼ lemon. Turn the heat to low and add 2 tablespoons of butter. Stir the sauce until the butter has melted and is incorporated. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Return the chicken to the pan and coat with the sauce. Cover and let simmer for 3 to 4 minutes.
- To serve, remove the chicken from the pan and drizzle the sauce over the top. Sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley and the Parmesan cheese.
This recipe can be made in advance. Prepare the chicken according to the instructions but, do not top with the cheese and parsley. Store it in the refrigerator up to 2 days.
When you want to serve it, gently reheat it in a saute pan over low heat. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and parsley before serving.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: entree
- Method: stove top – saute
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: 2 chicken cutlets
- Calories: 455
- Sugar: 1.2 g
- Sodium: 434 mg
- Fat: 18.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.2 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 5.6 g
- Fiber: 0.2 g
- Protein: 46.7 g
- Cholesterol: 146 mg
Keywords: easy chicken recipe, chicken in white wine sauce, dinner ideas, chicken breast boneless recipes
Leave a Reply