Burgers with Fresh Tomato Relish. Juicy all-beef burgers grilled over an open fire. Topped with a chopped fresh tomato relish that has a touch of sweetness from honey and a little tang from apple cider vinegar. An all-American meal.
>>Scroll down for my step by step video<<
Burgers with Fresh Tomato Relish is one of my go-to recipes any time of the year. I love a good burger! Nothing fancy, just a good burger.
Sign up to receive the latest recipes from amycaseycooks
and get my e-book 20 Tasty Salad Recipes for free!
the ingredients for the best burger recipe
My favorite burger recipe comes from this cookbook of all places. It was a gift from my husband 25+ years ago. I keep going back to the same burger recipe time and time again. It is an all time favorite of family and friends. And I get requests for the recipe every time I make it. It’s a simple recipe with the following ingredients ~
- Ground beef ~ 85/15 is my preferred blended of meat to fat
- Bread ~ soft white bread is my go-to
- Milk ~ whole milk is #1 with me
- Egg ~ beat it a lightly
- Onion – finely chopped please
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Toasted buns ~ Martin’s Potato Rolls – #1 hamburger bun in the USA
chef tips for cooking the best burgers at home
The burger recipe has only a few ingredients but, they all add to the deliciousness of the patties.
- Be sure to use the bread and milk combo in this burger recipe. The bread soaked in milk adds to the tenderness of the burgers.
- Lightly beat the egg before adding it to the ground beef. The egg helps hold the burgers together.
- Finely chop the onion. They will add flavor to the burgers with a little bite and not overpower them.
- Toast the buns. My Dad always toasts buns for hamburgers. It adds a nice crispy crunch and extra char flavor.
Our usual burger toppings include American cheese, ketchup, mayonnaise, and a little pickle relish. But I decided to whirl up a batch of fresh Jersey tomato relish in my food processor to change up tonight’s dinner. After all we were celebrating my husband’s birthday.
the ingredients for fresh tomato relish
The ingredients for this slightly sweet and tangy relish with a little spicy kick are in most pantries.
- Fresh tomatoes ~ use what looks best ~ deep bright red and free of blemishes
- Red onion ~ great purple and a mild flavor
- Apple cider vinegar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Celery salt ~ adds a hint of sweet, salt and better flavor
- Red pepper flakes ~ just a touch of heat
- Fresh chopped parsley
chef tips for making fresh tomato relish
- Use a food processor to make quick work when preparing the tomato relish.
- Chopped tomatoes can release a lot of liquid. Before adding the other ingredients, put the pulsed tomatoes and onions in a strainer for a couple minutes to drain off the excess liquid.
- Combine the chunky blend of tomatoes and onions with apple cider vinegar, honey, kosher salt, freshly ground pepper, celery salt, red pepper flakes and freshly chopped parsley. The relish is delicious served immediately or up to 24 hours.
what do you use tomato relish for?
This sweet, tart and savory topping is super versatile. Top chicken, steak, fish or pork. Add to grilled cheese or a turkey sandwich. Sprinkle over scrambled eggs. Or the simplest way to enjoy tomato relish is with tortilla chips. The tomato relish can be stored in the refrigerator in a covered container for up to 2 days.
If you make burgers with fresh tomato relish, I’d love hearing from you all. Be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating ~ I do my best to reply to all your comments. And snap a photo to post to Instagram. I’ll add the photos to my Insta stories as I love seeing all your creations.
Also check out my Facebook and Pinterest pages for lots of fabulous foodie stories and videos, cooking tips, and recipes.
favorite burger recipe ideas
my cooking videosPrint
Burgers with Fresh Tomato Relish
- Total Time: 23 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
Burgers with Fresh Tomato Relish. A juicy all-beef burger simply seasoned and grilled over an open fire. Top with a chopped fresh tomato relish with a touch of sweetness from honey and a little tangy from apple cider vinegar.
- for fresh tomato relish —
- 6 small/medium tomatoes, about 3 cups chopped
- 1/2 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- for the burgers —
- 2 slices white bread
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 pound ground beef, I like a 85/15 blend
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 potato rolls, toasted
- Heat grill to medium high heat.
- For the fresh tomato relish, place the tomatoes and red onions in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse 10 to 12 times or until the tomatoes and onions are finely chopped but still a little chunky. Place in a strainer and drain for 2 minutes.
- Place the chopped tomatoes and onions in a bowl and stir in the apple cider vinegar, honey, kosher salt, pepper, celery salt, red pepper flakes and parsley. Set aside.
- For the burgers, place the bread in a bowl and pour milk over it. After the bread has soaked up as much of the milk as possible, smash and squeeze out and pour off the excess.
- Combine the soaked bread and the remaining burger ingredients in a large bowl. Gently mix.
- Form the meat mixture into 4 burgers.
- Grill burgers about 3 to 4 minutes per side for medium rare or a little longer if you like your burgers more well done.
- Serve on toasted buns with a generous spoonful of the tomato relish.
Chopped tomatoes can release a lot of liquid. Before adding the other ingredients, put the pulsed tomatoes and onions in a strainer for a couple minutes.
Store the tomato relish in a covered container for up to 2 days.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 minutes
- Category: entree
- Method: grill
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 burger, relish and bun
- Calories: 466
- Sugar: 12.2 g
- Sodium: 1068 mg
- Fat: 19.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 7 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 36 mg
- Fiber: 3.6 g
- Protein: 35.9
- Cholesterol: 145 mg
Keywords: burgers, burger recipe, burgers with fresh tomato relish, grill recipe