The Perfect Sugar Cookie is my “go-to cookie” ever since I made 8 dozen of the buttery, sprinkle laden treats for my son’s middle school dance over 4 years ago. I have deemed this cookie perfect for a number of reasons.
1. 99% of the time I have all the ingredients on hand.
2. It takes all of about 5 minutes with mix up a batch.
3. The cookies are “drop” cookies which means no rolling and cutting out dough.
4. They are the same size every time I bake them – a whooping 3 inches across.
5. The sprinkles cover the whole cookie – from edge to edge – after they are baked.
6. The sprinkles can be changed up to match holidays or special events.
7. They are delicious.
8. The cookies are perfect every time.
I am so pleased with The Perfect Sugar Cookie recipe that I think I will bake up another batch right now – happy baking!!
- ⅔ cup shortening
- ⅔ cup salted butter, at room temperature
- 1½ cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3¾ cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- sprinkles, mini chocolate chips, colored sugar for decorating
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Fill shallow bowls with sprinkles, mini chocolate chips, and colored sugar.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer, cream together the shortening, butter and sugar. Beat in the eggs and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt in bowl and gradually blend into the creamed mixture until dough comes together, about 2 - 3 minutes.
- Use a 2 tablespoon scoop or roll dough into golf ball sized balls. Flatten slightly and dip in sprinkles, mini chocolate chips and/or colored sugar. Place 6 cookies on a baking sheet about 2 inches apart.
- Bake cookies 10 to 12 minutes. Only the bottoms should be light brown. Remove cookies from baking sheet and cool on a piece of parchment paper on the counter.