Baked Cod with Crispy Garlic Herb Panko is an easy weeknight dinner. Mild tasting cod is topped with a crispy coating of panko, fresh herbs and garlic for a healthy and delicious dinner.
- 5 tablespoons salted butter, divided
- 4 (6 ounce) cod fillets
- 1 lemon, cut in wedges
- Kosher salt
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup plain panko
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Coat a 9 x 13 inch baking pan with 1 tablespoon of butter. Place the cod in the dish and season with lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
- In a small sauté pan over medium low heat, melt the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter. When the butter has melted and just begins to foam, turn off the heat and add the garlic. Let garlic infuse the butter for a minute or so.
- Add the panko and lightly toss until all the butter has been absorbed. Stir in the chopped parsley and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Evenly divide the panko mixture on top of each cod fillet. Press down lightly.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until panko crumbs are golden brown and fish is just cooked through. Using a digital thermometer, the internal temperature of the fish should be 145 degrees F.
- Remove the fish from the oven and serve with lemon wedges.
- Use any firm fish in this versatile recipe. Options are halibut, haddock, salmon, swordfish, and mahi mahi.
- As soon as the butter melts, turn off the heat. You just want to infuse the butter with the garlic as opposed to sautéing it.
- A digital thermometer is indispensable when cooking fish. Overcooked fish will be dry. Perfectly cooked fish will be moist and opaque and have an internal temperature of 145 degrees F.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Entree
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 piece of fish
- Calories: 269
- Sugar: 0.7 g
- Sodium: 504 mg
- Fat: 15.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 9.3 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 5.6 g
- Fiber: 0.9 g
- Protein: 27 g
- Cholesterol: 92 mg
Keywords: cod recipe, easy fish recipe, panko fish, baked cod, dinner recipe