The Perfect Soft Sugar Cookie. A no roll, drop sugar cookie that bakes beautifully every time. The sugar cookie recipe makes thick soft cookies that can be decorated with sprinkles or frosted.
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 2/3 cup salted butter (at room temperature)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cups all purpose flour *
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- colored sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Fill shallow bowls with the sprinkles.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer, cream together the shortening, butter and sugar. Beat until creamy, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Beat in the eggs and vanilla until combined, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Combine the flour, baking powder and salt in medium sized bowl. Gradually blend the flour mixture into the creamed butter mixture until dough comes together, about 2 to 3 minutes. The dough should be thick but not sticky. If the is sticky add up to 1/4 cup more flour.
- Use a large cookie scoop or roll 2 tablespoons of dough into golf ball sized balls. Flatten slightly and dip in the sprinkles.
- Place 6 cookies on a baking sheet about 2 inches apart.
- Bake the cookies 10 to 12 minutes. Only the bottoms should be light brown and the centers should be soft and barely set.
- Remove cookies from the oven. Let set a minute or 2 before removing from the baking sheet.
- Place the cookies to a cooling rack or a piece of parchment paper on the counter to cool.
- Store in a covered container for up to 4 days.
- Bring all the ingredients to room temperature before you start baking. They will blend together better and more easily.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl so all the ingredients are incorporated evenly.
- *The dough should be thick but not sticky. If the dough is sticky, mix up to 1/4 cup more flour in to the dough.
- Use a large cookie scoop to easily make all the cookies the same size.
- Slightly press down on the cookie dough ball when adding the sprinkles. You want the sprinkles to completely cover the top of the dough.
- To ensure the sugar cookies bake at an even rate, line the baking sheet with parchment paper.
- For soft and tender cookies, bake them until only the bottoms are a light golden brown. The tops and sides of the sugar cookie should not brown at all.
- Let the cookies set for a minute or 2 before removing them to a cooling rack.
- Be sure the baking sheet is cool before adding the next cookies to bake.
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 258
- Sugar: 15 g
- Sodium: 109 mg
- Fat: 13 g
- Saturated Fat: 6 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 32 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 3 g
- Cholesterol: 33 g
Keywords: sugar cookie easy recipe, sugar cookie no rolling, sugar cookie recipe