Let your slow cooker make this delicious Irish dish. Corned beef, green cabbage, carrots and potatoes cook along with sauerkraut for a hearty soup.
- 1 3/4 pounds of corned beef, trimmed of fat and cut in 2 inch chunks
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced, about 1 cup
- 4 carrots, diced, about 2 cups
- 1 1/2 pounds small red and white potatoes, cut in 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 head of a small green cabbage, cut in 2-inch pieces, about 3 cups
- 1 cup sauerkraut
- 4 cups reduced sodium chicken stock
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Add all the ingredients except the parsley to a slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on High for 4 to 4 ½ hours or on Low for 7 to 8 hours. The corned beef should shred easily and the vegetables should be tender.
- Remove the pieces of corned beef from the slow cooker and shred into bite-sized pieces. Return the beef to the slow cooker and stir to combine. Stir in chopped fresh parsley.
- Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- Dice carrots, onions, potatoes, and cabbage and add to the crock of the slow cooker along with chunks of corned beef (including the little spice packet it comes with), sauerkraut, and chicken stock.
- Make sure to use the low sodium version of the stock as corned beef is a salty cut of beef on its own.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 4 1/2 hours on Low
- Category: entree
- Method: slow cooker
- Cuisine: Irish
- Serving Size: 2 cups
- Calories: 344
- Sugar: 4.2 g
- Sodium: 1411 mg
- Fat: 16.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 7.1 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 25.8 g
- Fiber: 4.2 g
- Protein: 22 g
- Cholesterol: 83 mg
Keywords: crock pot corned beef, slow cooker corned beef, corned beef soup