Roasting carrots and parsnips is a hands off cooking method that intensifies their flavor.
- 1– pound carrots (peeled)
- 1– pound parsnips (peeled)
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place a large rimmed baking sheet on the baking rack that is in the lowest position in the oven.
- Cut the carrots and parsnips in to thin fries that are about ½ inch thick by 3-inches long. Place in a large bowl and toss with the olive oil, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Remove the heated baking sheet from the oven. Carefully spread the carrots and parsnips evenly on the baking sheet. Return the pan to the oven and roast the vegetables, turning once, for about 25 to 30 minutes. The fries should be cooked through and crispy brown in spots.
- Remove fries from the oven and place in a serving bowl. Sprinkle with the fresh parsley and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cut the vegetables in similar sizes for uniform cooking. I cut the Roasted Carrot and Parsnip Fries into thin long pieces.
- Don’t skimp on the oil. Toss the cut vegetables with enough oil to give them a nice shimmer. The oil will help the vegetables get a nice toasty brown color as well as adding rich flavor.
- Preheat the baking sheet while the oven is heating. It gives a jump start to creating the crispy exterior that is desired.
- Don’t crowd the baking sheet. If the sheet is overloaded, the vegetables will steam instead of roast.
- Give the vegetables a flip half way through the roasting time to ensure even cooking and browning.
- Toss the roasted vegetables with fresh herbs and adjust the season of the salt and pepper when they come out of the oven.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Side dish
- Method: Roast in oven
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
- Calories: 129
- Sugar: 7.4 g
- Sodium: 448 mg
- Fat: 4.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.7 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 21.4 g
- Fiber: 5.7 g
- Protein: 1.6 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: roasted carrots, roasted vegetables, side dish recipe, vegan recipe, vegetarian recipe