If you love macaroni and cheese then you will love these mini mac and cheese bites. Make these delicious and adorable 2 bite snacks in a mini muffin pan.
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons salted butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, packed
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese, packed
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/2 pound elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
- 2 tablespoons panko
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a 24-count, nonstick mini muffin pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and cook for about 30 seconds. Whisk in the milk and bring to a boil. Cook, whisking occasionally, for about 1 to 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Add cheddar and Monterey Jack cheeses and stir to melt.
- Stir in the salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and mustard.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the egg yolks and macaroni.
- Spoon 2 heaping tablespoons of macaroni and cheese into the prepared mini muffin pan. I like this medium cookie scoop. Pack each one down gently.
- Melt 2 teaspoons of butter in a small saute pan. Add 2 tablespoons of panko. Stir occasionally until panko becomes golden brown. Remove from heat.
- Sprinkle bites with toasted panko.
- Bake for about 10 minutes, until golden and sizzling.
- Let cool 5 or so minutes in the pan. This will ensure the bites stay together.
- Using a teaspoon, carefully loosen the mac and cheese bites and transfer to a platter to serve.
- To make ahead, prepare the bites to right before baking (Step 8 above). Cover the pan with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator for up to 6 hours. Pull the pan out of the fridge at party time. Bake in a 400 degree oven for 10 to 15 minutes. Serve warm.
- Mac and Cheese Bites are tasty hot out of the oven or at room temperature.
- Category: appetizer
- Method: stove top and bake in oven
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 mac & cheese bite
- Calories: 93
- Sugar: 0.8 g
- Sodium: 141 mg
- Fat: 4.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.9 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 8.2 g
- Fiber: 0.4 g
- Protein: 4.2 g
- Cholesterol: 30 mg
Keywords: mac and cheese bites, mini macaroni and cheese, snacks