Homestyle Red Potato Salad with Dill Pickles. This red potato salad is a creamy mayo version with crunchy bits of celery and salty, briny, dilly pickles. Serve along side hamburgers and hotdogs, grilled barbecue chicken or steak or with your favorite sandwich.
- 4 pounds of red skinned potatoes, cut in 1 inch chunks
- 6 tablespoons of dill pickle juice
- 2 cups of chopped dill pickles, 1/2 inch dice
- 2 cups of chopped celery, 1/2 inch dice
- 1/4 cup Newman’s Own Oil and Vinegar Dressing
- 1 1/4 cups mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Fill a large stock pot with cold water. Add the potatoes. Place the pot over high heat and and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes. The potatoes should be just tender when pierced with a knife.
- Drain the potatoes in a colander and place them in a large bowl. Add the pickle juice and toss to coat the potatoes. Cover the bowl with a clean kitchen towel and let steam for 20 minutes.
- Remove the towel and add the dill pickles, celery, dressing, mayonnaise, parsley, salt and pepper. Toss to fully coat the potatoes.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate until the potatoes are chilled.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper before serving.
- Cut the potatoes in roughly the same sized chunks so they cook evenly. A knife should be able to pierce the potatoes when they are perfectly cooked.
- Marinate the warm, cooked potato chunks in pickle juice. Cover the bowl with a kitchen towel to absorb any condensation.
- Check the seasonings of kosher salt and pepper before serving.
- This makes a big batch of potato salad. The recipe can be cut in half or quartered. Store potato salad in the refrigerator for 3 to 5 days.
- Category: side dish
- Method: simmer
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 3/4 cup
- Calories: 277
- Sugar: 2.2 g
- Sodium: 487 mg
- Fat: 21.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.7 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 18.5 g
- Fiber: 1.9 g
- Protein: 2.1 g
- Cholesterol: 14 mg
Keywords: potato salad recipe, 4th of July side dish, barbecue side dish