The chaffle (cheese + waffle) is a low carb, keto friendly, gluten free and savory bread alternative. Made with egg whites, shredded cheese, almond flour, and a pinch of baking powder, the 4 ingredient mini waffle is perfect for breakfast or lunch sandwiches, appetizers or just for snacking.
- 3 tablespoons egg whites
- 1/2 cup finely shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons almond flour
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- Heat a mini waffle maker or a multi mini waffle maker for 5 minutes.
- To make the chaffle batter, in a small bowl combine the egg whites, cheddar cheese, almond flour and baking powder. Stir to combine.
- Put 1/2 of the batter to the heated waffle maker and close the lid.
- Cook the chaffle for 3 1/2 to 4 minutes. Remove the chaffle to a cooling rack.
- Add the remaining batter to the waffle maker and cook the chaffle.
- To make sausage breakfast sandwiches, place a cooked sausage patty between two warm chaffles. You can also add fried and scrambled eggs and slices of cheese.
- Make sure to preheat the waffle iron for at least 5 minutes.
- The mini waffle maker and multi waffle maker are both nonstick. I have never had a problem with chaffles sticking. But if you want to make extra certain the chaffles slide out, lightly coat the waffle iron with cooking spray.
- Some chaffle recipes use whole egg. I prefer chaffles made with egg whites. Using only egg whites makes for crispier and less eggy chaffles. Purchase egg whites in pint or quart containers from the grocery store.
- The waffle will steam when they first start cooking. When the steam stops after 3 1/2 to 4 minutes the waffles will be crispy and golden brown.
- Cool chaffles on a cooling rack so they stay crispy.
- Category: breakfast
- Method: cook in waffle maker
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 chaffle
- Calories: 166
- Sugar: 0.6 g
- Sodium: 199 mg
- Fat: 12.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 6.2 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 2.2 g
- Fiber: 0.8 g
- Protein: 11 g
- Cholesterol: 30 mg
Keywords: chaffle, keto, gluten free, quick recipe