This steak salad with roasted red onions and blue cheese is a delicious entree salad.A homemade balsamic vinaigrette does triple duty as it roasts along with the red onions, marinades the steak and is a vinaigrette for the salad.
- 2 large red onions cut in 1/4 inch slices, about 4 cups
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 skirt steak (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- about 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 8 cups of chopped romaine lettuce
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place a large rimmed baking sheet in the oven. Place onions in a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a mason jar, combine balsamic vinegar, garlic, brown sugar, Dijon mustard, soy sauce, oregano, thyme, basil, salt, pepper, and olive oil. Screw on a tight fitting lid and give the marinade/vinaigrette a good shake. Pour about 1/3 cup of the mixture over the onions and toss to coat.
- Spread onions on the preheated baking sheet. Roast onions in oven for 25 – 30 minutes or until the onions are soft and slightly browned. Remove from oven and set aside.
- While the onions are roasting, place the steak in a resealable bag and add 1/2 cup of the marinade/vinaigrette. Seal bag and marinate at room temperature for 15 minutes. Preheat a grill or grille pan to high heat.
- Remove the steak from the bag and discard the marinade. Place on the hot grill and cook without moving for 3 minutes for medium rare and 4 minutes for medium. Flip the steak over and grill for an additional 3 to 4 minutes. The internal temperature of the steak should be about 120 to 125 degrees.
- Remove steak from grill and cover with loosely foil for 5 minutes.
- After the steak rests, slice it into 4 inch sections with the grain of the meat. Slice each section against the grain into 1/4 inch slices. This insures that the meat will be tender.
- To assemble the salads, place about 2 cups of the romaine on each of 4 large plates. Top with the sliced steak, roasted red onions, blue cheese and a drizzle of remaining balsamic herb vinaigrette.
Store any remaining vinaigrette in the refrigerator for up to 7 days.
- Category: entree
- Method: grill
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 632
- Sugar: 9.1 g
- Sodium: 1303 mg
- Fat: 39.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 12.1 g
- Unsaturated Fat: ~
- Trans Fat: ~
- Carbohydrates: 17.2 g
- Fiber: 2.7 g
- Protein: 51.1 g
- Cholesterol: 113 mg
Keywords: steak salad, steak salad with blue cheese, dinner, entree salad