Baked and Stuffed Coconut Sweet Potatoes are the starting point for a variety of amazing side dish and entrée options. Along with my easy recipe for baked sweet potatoes, I’ve included my TOP 7 STUFFED SWEET POTATO RECIPES.
- 4 sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- kosher salt and pepper
- 1 (5.4 ounce) can coconut cream
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Wash and dry the sweet potatoes.
- Using a sharp knife, poke 2 to 3 times on each side of the potato.
- Rub the potatoes with extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt and pepper.
- Place on a foil (or parchment paper) lined baking sheet. The potatoes may ooze some sticky, sugary liquid so this makes for easy clean up.
- Bake for about 45 to 50 minutes or until a knife can easily poke through the potatoes.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Cut the top 1/4 off the potato. Scoop out the sweet potato flesh leaving about a 1/4 inch in the potato skin. Place the flesh in a bowl.
- Add the coconut cream, kosher salt and pepper.
- Stir or mash to combine.
- Fill the potato skins with the mashed potato.
- Serve immediately.
- Top the filled potatoes with dried fruit ~shredded coconut, cranberries, raisins, currants, fig, or dates.
- Top the filled potatoes with toasted nuts ~pine nuts, pecans, walnuts, cashews, almonds.
- Make breakfast sweet potatoes by stirring in 1 cup of cooked quinoa, 1/2 cup blueberries, and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon into the mashed coconut sweet potatoes. Top with your favorite toasted nuts and a drizzle of maple syrup.
- Make an apple pie dessert potato by stirring a large peeled and grated apple, 2 tablespoons sugar, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg into the mashed coconut sweet potatoes. Top with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
- Sauté 1/2 cup diced onion, 2 minced garlic cloves and 2 cups of baby spinach in 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil. Add the sautéed mixture to the mashed coconut potatoes. Stir in 1 (15.5 ounce) can of drained and rinsed small white beans.
- Add an Indian twist by stirring in 1 teaspoon of curry powder, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder and 1 cup of peas along with the mashed coconut sweet potatoes.
- Top each filled sweet potato with 1/4 cup of drained and rinsed chickpeas and drizzle with a maple tahini dressing and chopped fresh cilantro. For the tahini dressing whisk 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 3 tablespoons tahini, 1 to 2 tablespoons of warm water, 1 teaspoon soy sauce, a dash of maple syrup, and kosher salt and pepper to taste.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: side dish
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 potato
- Calories: 287
- Sugar: 25.3 g
- Sodium: 664 mg
- Fat: 12.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 6.5 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 42 g
- Fiber: 4.1 g
- Protein: 2.4 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: sweet potatoes, stuffed sweet potatoes, baked sweet potatoes