This Fresh Strawberry Crumb Cake is an incredibly buttery cake topped with layer of caramelized strawberries and a generous amount of sugary crumb topping. This is the best crumb cake ever!
For the strawberries~
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar (packed)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 pints of strawberries (sliced), about 8 cups
For the crumb topping ~
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar (packed)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 1/2 cups cake flour
- 2 sticks salted butter (melted)
For the cake ~
- 2/3 cup half and half
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 sticks salted butter, cold (cut in chunks)
- 3 large eggs (lightly beaten)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 x 13 inch baking dish.
- Heat a large sauté pan to medium high. Add the butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Stir to melt. Add the strawberries and stir to coat. Reduce heat to medium low and cook for about 4 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. The strawberries should be slightly soft. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the crumb topping ingredients – ¼ cup sugar, ¾ cup brown sugar, packed, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ½ teaspoon kosher salt, 3 ½ cups cake flour, and 2 sticks of melted butter. Stir to combine. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, add vinegar to half and half and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients for the cake – 2 ½ cups flour, 1 cup sugar, ½ teaspoon kosher salt, and ½ teaspoon baking soda.
- With a stand mixer or handheld mixer on low speed, add the 1 ½ sticks of butter chunks, one at a time to the dry ingredients. Mix for about 2 to 3 minutes or until mixture resembles a coarse crumble.
- Add the eggs and vanilla extract to the small bowl with the half and half and vinegar and stir to combine.
- Slowly add the half and half mixture to the flour butter mixture. Beat on medium speed for about 1 to 2 minutes or until smooth.
- Spread cake batter into prepared baking dish. Top with sautéed strawberries, but leave any accumulated juices in the sauté pan.
- Break up the crumb topping with a spoon. The pieces should be about the size of marbles. Sprinkle evenly on top of strawberries.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool completely and dust with powdered sugar.
- Sauté the strawberries for only a few minutes. You want them to be slightly softened, but still hold their shape.
- The crumb is where it is at with this strawberry crumb cake. After combining the crumb ingredients, let the mixture sit while mixing the cake batter. The butter will cool so it will be easy to make the marble sized crumb pieces for the topping.
- A stand mixer makes for easy work of mixing the thick cake ingredients.
- When adding the caramelized strawberry layer on top of the cake batter, leave any accumulated juices in the pan. You do not want to add them as they will make the cake batter to liquidy.
- Be sure to fully cool the cake before topping with a generous sprinkle of powdered sugar.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: bake in oven
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 532
- Sugar: 31.1 g
- Sodium: 371 mg
- Fat: 24.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 14.7 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 72.5 g
- Fiber: 3.4 g
- Protein: 7.6 g
- Cholesterol: 98 mg
Keywords: crumb cake, dessert recipe, butter