Whip up a batch of this chunky roasted cherry tomato sauce in your own kitchen. With just a handful of ingredients, the homemade sauce is so simple to make.
- 3 pints cherry tomatoes, about 6 cups
- 1 medium onion, chopped, about 1 1/2 cups
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/3 cup white wine, Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 15 to 20 fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- Cooked pasta or zucchini noodles for serving
- Parmesan cheese, for serving
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- To a large rimmed baking sheet, add the cherry tomatoes, chopped onion and chopped garlic. Spread out the vegetables on the pan.
- Add the white wine, salted butter, and olive oil.
- Sprinkle with the kosher salt and black pepper.
- Toss the vegetables to combine.
- Roast in the oven for 45 to 55 minutes or until some of the tomatoes burst and are charred.
- Remove from the oven. Smash some of the tomatoes with the back of a large spoon.
- Serve tossed with cooked pasta or zucchini noodles and Parmesan cheese. Season to taste with kosher salt and black pepper.
Add spice - Add red pepper flakes while roasting the vegetables to add a kick of spiciness to the sauce.
Add protein - Toss of spoon the roasted tomato sauce with cooked chicken, shrimp, scallops, salmon, swordfish, pork tenderloin or chops, grilled steak or cubed tofu.
Make it an appetizer - Serve the chunky smashed tomatoes over crostini (get my easy recipe here) or crackers.
Toss with pasta or noodles - Try spaghetti, linguine or rotini. Pick a cup-shaped pasta like orecchiette or shells to catch the intense tomato juices. The sauce is about enough for 1/2 pound of pasta. For a gluten free noodle dish, toss the sauce with zucchini or yellow squash spiralized noodles. They're so easy to make with veggie noodle spiralizer.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Category: entrée
- Method: bake in oven
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 195
- Sugar: 8.5 g
- Sodium: 639 mg
- Fat: 13.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 4.7 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 15.5 g
- Fiber: 4.1 g
- Protein: 3.2 g
- Cholesterol: 15 mg
Keywords: roasted cherry tomato sauce, homemade tomato sauce