Streamline a crave worthy breakfast with this make ahead recipe for a Savory Egg, Sausage and Spinach Quinoa Breakfast Bowl. The hearty protein packed breakfast is filling and keeps you energized all morning.
- Make the quinoa: In a small saucepan over medium high heat, add 2 cups of water and the quinoa. Bring to a boil, then turn the heat down to low. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Sauté the vegetables and sausage while the quinoa cooks: In a large sauté pan over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of butter, onion, red bell pepper, garlic and breakfast sausage. Sauté and break the sausage up into small pieces. Cook until the vegetables are softened and the sausage is cooked through, about 5 to 6 minutes. Add the spinach and stir until it’s wilted.
- Add quinoa, vegetables and sausage to a bowl: In a large bowl, add the cooked quinoa and sauteed vegetables and sausage.
- Scramble the eggs: Add the remaining tablespoon of butter to the same sauté pan. Adjust the heat to medium low. Crack the eggs in a bowl and add the cream. Whisk to combine. Add the beaten eggs to the pan. Season with kosher salt and pepper. Let the eggs cook for a minute or so then begin to stir and scramble. Cook the eggs for 3 to 4 minutes or to your desired doneness. Add the scrambled eggs to the bowl with the quinoa, vegetables and sausage.
- Combine the ingredients: Stir the ingredients to combine. Season to taste with kosher salt and pepper. Serve warm.
- For added flavor, cook the quinoa in either beef, chicken or vegetable stock instead of water.
- Substitute your favorite vegetables in this hearty breakfast bowl. Try mushrooms, zucchini, kale, or broccoli.
- Try crumble bacon, diced ham, diced pork roll or chopped Canadian bacon in place of the breakfast sausage.
- Add in some shredded or grated cheese. Tasty options are Parmesan, cheddar, feta and pepper jack.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: breakfast
- Method: cook on stove top
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: about 1 1/2 cups
- Calories: 442
- Sugar: 3.4 g
- Sodium: 719 mg
- Fat: 24.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 9.2 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 34.5 g
- Fiber: 4.8 g
- Protein: 21.5 g
- Cholesterol: 234 mg
Keywords: quinoa breakfast bowl, high protein quinoa breakfast bowl, savory quinoa breakfast bowl, meal prep breakfast