This pasta and peas dish with Italian sausage is packed with lots of delicious flavor and is one the whole family will love.
- 1 pound shell pasta
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced, about 2 cups
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 cups reduced sodium chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups Parmesan cheese, divided
- 10 ounces frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- juice of 1/2 lemon, about 2 tablespoons
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Drain and set aside.
- While the pasta is cooking, make the sauce. In a large sauté pan over medium heat add the extra virgin olive oil. Add the sliced onions and sauté for about 6 to 8 minutes or until lightly browned. Add the garlic and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Remove the Italian sausage from the casing and add it to the sauté pan. Break the sausage into bite sized pieces with a wooden spatula. Cook the sausage until browned and cooked through, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the white wine to the sauté pan and bring to a boil. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock to the sauté pan. Bring to a boil. Then reduce the heat and simmer for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of the Parmesan cheese to the sauce and stir to combine.
- Add the peas and butter to the sauce and cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until the peas are heated and the butter has melted.
- Add the cooked pasta and stir to thoroughly combine it with the sauce.
- Add the lemon juice and stir to combine.
- Serve sprinkled with the parsley and more Parmesan cheese.
- Whimsical shell pasta is perfect for catching the little green peas. But substitute your favorite pasta shape in the recipe.
- Do you like to kick your recipes up a notch? Pick up spicy Italian sausage to a fiery edge to your pasta and peas.
- Chardonnay, Pinot Grigio or Sauvignon Blanc are my top choices for which wine to use.
- Not a fan of wine? No problem. Use all chicken broth in the sauce.
- Use a peeler to slice shards off a wedge of Parmesan.
- Any leftovers can be stored in an air tight container (these glass storage ones are what I use) for up to 4 days in the refrigerator. I love reheating some delish pasta for a quick lunch or dinner as it’s a no brainer after a busy day. Reheat in the microwave on 60% power for 2 minutes.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: entrée
- Method: cook on stove top
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
- Calories: 694
- Sugar: 3.7 g
- Sodium: 1010 mg
- Fat: 36.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 13.6 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 53.5 g
- Fiber: 3.5 g
- Protein: 34 g
- Cholesterol: 146 mg
Keywords: pasta and peas, easy dinner recipe, family dinner, 30 minute dinner recipe