Orange Dijon Oven Roasted Chicken Legs is an easy and delicious dinner recipe for any night of the week. The whole family will love the sweet and tangy orange and Dijon mustard marinade on these baked to perfection chicken drumsticks.
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 4 tablespoons honey, divided
- 5 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 8 chicken legs or drumsticks, about 3 1/4 pounds
- fresh parsley
- 1 orange, cut in wedges, for serving
- In a large resealable bag, add the shallot, garlic, 2 tablespoons of honey, Dijon mustard, orange juice, extra virgin olive oil, kosher salt and pepper.
- Add the chicken legs to the bag. Seal the bag and squish around the chicken and the marinade ingredients. You want the chicken completely covered with the marinade.
- Marinate the chicken for 1 hour in the refrigerator.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Place a cooling rack in a foil lined rimmed large baking sheet. Set aside.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade (don’t toss the marinade!) and place it on the prepared baking sheet.
- Roast in the oven for 20 minutes. Flip the chicken over and roast for another 20 to 25 minutes. The internal temperature of the chicken should be 165 degrees F on a digital thermometer. If you like your chicken extra brown and crispy, broil it for an additional 5 minutes.
- While the chicken is roasting, put the marinade along with the remaining 2 tablespoons of honey in a small pot. Bring to a boil and continue boiling for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and drizzle with the boiled marinade.
- Sprinkle with fresh parsley leaves and serve with orange wedges.
- Use a resealable bag in marinate the chicken legs. Not only will the marinade completely cover the chicken, just toss the bag for easy clean up.
- Don’t toss the marinade! The leftover marinade makes for a delicious drizzle/sauce for the oven roasted chicken legs. Just make sure to boil the marinade for 3 to 5 minutes. Any bacteria in the marinade is killed when the temperature of the boiling marinade reaches 165 degrees F. Since boiling occurs at 212 degrees F, you marinade will be safe to use after cooking it to a boil for a few minutes.
- Roast the chicken legs on a cooling rack in a foil lined and rimmed baking sheet. You’ll want the air circulating around the chicken legs to help the skin cook to a crispy golden brown. And lining the pan with foil makes for easy clean up. And I’m all about easy clean up.
- You can also grill the chicken. Place the chicken legs on a preheated grill on medium high. Grill for 30 to 40 minutes turning every 10 to 15 minutes. The internal temperature of the chicken should be 165 degrees F on a digital thermometer.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes plus 1 hour marinating time
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: entree
- Method: bake in oven
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 2 chicken legs
- Calories: 708
- Sugar: 24.3 g
- Sodium: 1003 mg
- Fat: 38.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 9.6 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 28.5 g
- Fiber: 1.9 g
- Protein: 61 g
- Cholesterol: 210 mg
Keywords: oven roasted chicken legs, baked chicken drumsticks, dinner ideas, chicken recipes