If you love lasagna, you will definitely want to make this delicious Lasagna Soup. The tomatoey soup is loaded with Italian sausage, lasagna noodles and Italian spices. A dollop of ricotta and sprinkles of mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses put this hearty soup over the top.
- 1/2 pound Italian sausage, removed from casing
- 1 large shallot, chopped, about 1/2 cup
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped, about 1 cup
- 2 teaspoons Italian herb blend
- 3 cups reduced sodium chicken stock
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 4 lasagna noodles broken in small pieces, do not use no-boil noodles
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- In a large stock pot over medium-high heat, add the Italian sausage. As the sausage cooks, break it up into bite-sized pieces. Continue cooking for 8 to 10 minutes until the sausage is browned and cooked thoroughly.
- Add the shallot, garlic, and red pepper to the pot and sauté for 4 to 5 minutes. Add Italian herb blend, chicken stock, canned diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, lasagna noodles, kosher salt and pepper and stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil then reduce to a heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Cover the soup for the last 5 minutes to help finish cooking the noodles.
- Serve soup in large bowls with a dollop of ricotta cheese and sprinkled with Parmesan and mozzarella cheeses.
- Choose either sweet or hot Italian sausage ~ whichever is your favorite!
- Shallot are a little milder other onions. A good substitute is yellow onion.
- I always have a few lasagna noodles left after making lasagna so they are perfect to use in soup. But other pasta shapes such as rotini, farfalle, and orecchiette can be used in Lasagna Soup.
- The noodles cook right in the soup to soak up all the goodness. Cover the pot the last 5 minutes of simmering the soup to help the noodles finish cooking.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: entrée
- Method: cook on stove top
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: 1+ cup
- Calories: 359
- Sugar: 8 g
- Sodium: 1122 mg
- Fat: 6.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.8 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 53.4 g
- Fiber: 4.9 g
- Protein: 24.8 g
- Cholesterol: 49 g
Keywords: lasagna soup, lasagna soup recipe, comfort food