This Melon Salad with Fresh Mozzarella and Pine Nuts is a light and refreshing side dish for the hot days of summer. The tangy sweet lemon honey vinaigrette adds a zip of flavor to the cool salad.
8 cups of mixed greens or butter lettuce torn in bite sized pieces
5 cups of bite sized cantaloupe pieces
3/4 pound fresh mozzarella, torn in bite sized pieces (I use ciliegine sized mozzarella)
1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
20 basil leaves, thinly sliced
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
juice of 1 lemon, about 2 tablespoons
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
On a large platter, add the lettuce in a single layer.
Scatter the cantaloupe, mozzarella, pine nuts and basil over the lettuce.
Drizzle the salad with the vinaigrette.
- I love musky, sweet cantaloupe in this melon salad. But feel free to substitute watermelon or honeydew melon in the recipe.
- Skip the packaged block of mozzarella for this recipe. It is best to use it in cooking as it melts beautifully. Use creamy fresh mozzarella with its buttery texture and delicate flavor for the melon salad. I like to ciliegine or cherry sized mozzarella and tear them in half for a rustic look.
- A tender lettuce completes the delicate flavors of the salad. Choose a butter lettuce or mixed greens.
- Crunchy. mild and slightly sweet pine nuts are my first choice for melon salad. Be sure to toast them in a dry hot pan for 2 to 3 minutes. Give them a shake so they do not burn. You can also sub pecans, almonds or walnuts in the melon salad too.
- Add the vinaigrette just before serving. Otherwise the delicate lettuce will get wilty. Also, drizzle the vinaigrette sparingly. No one wants to eat a soggy, vinaigrette laden salad. You can always add more vinaigrette but, you can’t remove it once it’s added to the melon salad.
- Category: appetizer, side dish
- Method: assemble ~ no cooking
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
- Calories: 309
- Sugar: 15.1 g
- Sodium: 314 mg
- Fat: 13.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.9 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 40.2 g
- Fiber: 11.3 g
- Protein: 9.2 g
- Cholesterol: 2 mg
Keywords: melon salad, cantaloupe salad, summer salad, cantaloupe