Lemon Cod Fish Francese is a restaurant quality entree that is easy to make at home. Fish is lightly floured, dipped in beaten egg and then pan fried. Finish with an easy to make lemon and wine sauce made velvety smooth with a pad of butter.
- 1/2 cup flour plus 2 teaspoons (divided)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter (divided)
- 4 cod filets (about 2-inches thick and 6 oz. each)
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/3 cup reduced sodium chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 lemon (thinly sliced)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- In a shallow bowl, whisk the ½ cup flour with the salt and pepper. In another shallow bowl, beat the eggs.
- Heat a large sauté pan to medium heat and add the olive oil and 1 tablespoon of the butter.
- Dredge each piece of fish in the in flour mixture and shake off the excess.
- When the butter has melted and just begins to foam, dip the floured fish into beaten eggs allowing the excess to drip off.
- Fry the fish for about 4 to 5 minutes per side. The coating should be golden brown and the fish will be just cooked through. The internal temperature of the cod should be 145 degrees F. Transfer to a plate and loosely covered with foil.
- Wipe out the pan and add the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter. Return the pan to medium heat.
- When the butter has melted, whisk in the remaining 2 teaspoons of flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the wine, stock, and lemon juice. Bring the sauce barely to a boil and cook stirring for 2 to 3 minutes or until the sauce is slightly thickened.
- Add the sliced lemon and parsley and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Turn the heat to low and add the fish back into the pan with the sauce. Ladle some of the sauce over the fish and simmer for about an additional 2 to 3 minutes.
- Serve the fish with the sauce and an additional sprinkle of parsley.
Use the freshest fish available for making fish francese. Cod, haddock, flounder, halibut, mahi mahi, pollock and striped bass are all good options.
- Category: entree
- Method: saute
- Cuisine: French
- Serving Size: 1 piece
- Calories: 286
- Sugar: 0.9 g
- Sodium: 728 mg
- Fat: 18.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 7.3 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 4.9 g
- Fiber: 0.5 g
- Protein: 20.1 g
- Cholesterol: 156 mg
Keywords: cod francese, cod francese recipe, cod francaise, fish francese