This Lemon Chicken recipe is an easy weeknight dinner, yet it is fancy enough to serve for a special occasion or for weekend dinner guests. The lemon, wine and butter sauce adds delicious flavor to the lightly battered and sauteed chicken. And as an added bonus, this chicken dish is ready in 30 minutes.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons salted butter, divided
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup reduced sodium chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 lemon thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Place chicken breasts on a cutting board. Slice horizontally into 2 thin cutlets. Set aside.
- In a shallow bowl, combine the all purpose flour, kosher salt and pepper. Set aside 2 teaspoons of the seasoned flour for the sauce.
- In another shallow bowl, whisk the eggs.
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 tablespoon salted butter.
- Dredge the chicken in the flour mixture, and then in the beaten eggs.
- Sauté the battered chicken in batches until lightly golden brown. This should take about 3 to 5 minutes per side depending on the thickness of the chicken cutlets. The internal temperature of the chicken should be 165 degrees F on an instant read digital thermometer.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate and lightly cover with foil.
- Carefully wipe out the sauté pan with a few paper towels and return to the stovetop over medium low to medium heat.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons for salted butter to the sauté pan. When the butter has melted, whisk in the reserved 2 teaspoons of the flour used for for dredging the chicken. Cook for about 30 seconds.
- Stir in the white wine, reduced sodium chicken stock, and lemon juice. Bring the sauce barely to a boil and cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Season the sauce with kosher salt and pepper. Add the chicken to the pan and ladle some of the sauce over the top. Turn the heat to low and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle the chicken with the parsley and serve with lemon slices.
- Slice the chicken into the same sizes cutlets so they cook evenly.
- Use an instant read digital thermometer to check when the chicken is perfectly cooked. The internal temperature should be 165 degrees F.
- Save a couple teaspoons of the seasoned flour used for dredging to thicken the sauce.
- The best white wines to cook with are dry crisp ones like Sauvignon Blanc and Pinot Grigio.
- Use fresh lemon juice. It has much better flavor than the bottled juice.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: entrée
- Method: cook on stove top
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 2 pieces for chicken
- Calories: 429
- Sugar: 1.1 g
- Sodium: 902 mg
- Fat: 17.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 6.8 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 5.2 g
- Fiber: 0.5 g
- Protein: 56.3 g
- Cholesterol: 246 g
Keywords: lemon chicken, lemon chicken recipe, dinner recipe, 30 minute dinner