A combination of sweet, salty and spicy ingredients for an Asian spin on barbecue shrimp.
- 2 tablespoons chili garlic paste
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons rice wine
- 3 tablespoons grated onion
- 1 pound extra jumbo shrimp (16/20, peeled, deveined, tail on)
- chili garlic paste (for serving)
- In a large Ziploc bag, combine all the ingredients except the shrimp. Remove about 3 tablespoons of the marinade and set aside.
- Add the shrimp to the bag and seal. Place in the refrigerator to marinate for 30 minutes.
- Heat a grill or grill pan to high heat.
- Remove the shrimp from the marinade (discard the marinade in the bag). Place shrimp on the grill with about an inch between each shrimp.
- Grill for 2 to 3 minutes per side. The shrimp should be just cooked through and charred in some spots. Baste the shrimp with the marinade before removing from the grill.
- Remove shrimp to a platter and serve with extra chili garlic sauce.
- Use a Ziploc bag to easily combine the ingredients and marinate the shrimp for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Grating the onion adds adds the bite of fresh onion without having large pieces of onion in the marinade.
- Chili garlic paste is a spicy sauce available in the international ingredient aisle of the grocery store. White wine can be substituted for the rice wine.
- A grill pan makes for easy indoor grilling. The shrimp can also be broiled for 5 minutes – watch closely so they do not burn. In a pinch, saute the shrimp in a hot skillet for about 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- Set aside a couple tablespoons of the marinade to baste the shrimp as they grill.
- Category: appetizer or entree
- Method: grill or bake
- Cuisine: Asian
- Serving Size: 5 shrimp
- Calories: 426
- Sugar: 5.8 g
- Sodium: 1751 mg
- Fat: 3.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.5 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 12.7 g
- Fiber: 0.3 g
- Protein: 88.6 g
- Cholesterol: 520 mg
Keywords: Korean barbecue shrimp, Korean shrimp, bbq shrimp