This Italian Chicken, Artichoke and Bean Soup is a hearty meal in a bowl. It’s a healthy tomatoey soup loaded with tender chicken, artichoke hearts, and cannellini beans. Fresh peppery basil and creamy burrata are the finishing touches for this cozy soup.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups diced red onion
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup chopped sun dried tomatoes
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons Italian herb blend
- dash of red pepper flakes
- 4 cups reduced sodium chicken stock
- 1 (14-ounce can) artichoke hearts in water, drained and chopped
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can of cannellini beans, drained
- 1 1/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced in bite sized pieces
- about 10 basil leaves, chopped
- kosher salt
- 2 burrata balls
- In a large stock pot over medium heat add the olive oil and onions. Sauté for about 4 to 5 minutes or until the onions are translucent. Add the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds. Stir in the wine and cook for an additional 2 to 3 minutes or until it has almost absorbed.
- Add the three types of tomatoes, Italian herb blend, a dash of red pepper flakes, and chicken stock. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the artichoke hearts, cannellini beans and diced chicken breast. Simmer for an additional 10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked. Season to taste with kosher salt and pepper.
- Serve the soup topped with chopped fresh basil and some torn pieces of the burrata. Add extra red pepper flakes if desired.
- Substitute yellow or Vidalia onions for the red onion.
- Use a dry white wine in this recipe. My favorites are Chardonnay, Pinot Grigio, or Sauvignon Blanc.
- An Italian herb blend is a convenient and effortless way season Italian dishes. The blend is a robust and aromatic combination of oregano, marjoram, thyme, rosemary, basil and sage.
- Cannellini beans are the quintessential Italian beans. But other legumes such as chickpeas, pinto beans or navy beans are delicious in the recipe.
- Diced boneless skinless chicken thighs can stand in for the chicken breast.
- The burrata adds a contrasting cool creaminess to the soup. Fresh mozzarella is a tasty alternative.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: entrée
- Method: cook on stove top
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: 1/8 of recipe
- Calories: 311
- Sugar: 8.6 g
- Sodium: 1339 mg
- Fat: 11 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.8 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 27.6 g
- Fiber: 8.5 g
- Protein: 24.3 g
- Cholesterol: 55 mg
Keywords: Italian chicken soup, chicken soup, Tuscan chicken soup, soup recipe, Italian chicken soup without pasta