A salted caramel popcorn recipe that is truly unforgettable! Crunchy popcorn is covered with a homemade caramel sauce and baked in the oven. A generous drizzle of melted chocolate makes this treat extra special.
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F. Butter a large roasting pan. Set aside.
- In a 2 quart saucepan over medium low heat add the butter.
- After the butter has melted, add the brown sugar, corn syrup, and kosher salt. Increase the heat to medium.
- Stirring constantly, bring the butter and sugar mixture to a boil.
- Continue boiling the mixture without stirring for 4 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat.
- Stir in the baking soda and the vanilla extract.
- Place the popcorn in the large roasting pan.
- Immediately pour the hot caramel evenly over the top of all of the popcorn.
- Quickly stir and toss the popcorn with the caramel sauce.
- Bake the caramel popcorn in the oven for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Remove the caramel popcorn from the oven. Pour the baked caramel popcorn on to large sheets of foil or parchment paper to cool.
- Place the chocolate chips in a microwave safe container. Microwave at 30 second intervals, stirring after each interval, until the chocolate is melted.
- Drizzle the melted chocolate in a thin stream over the caramel popcorn. Sprinkle the chocolate caramel popcorn with kosher salt.
- Let cool until the chocolate hardens.
- Store the caramel popcorn an airtight container.
- Have all the ingredients prepped before starting the caramel popcorn recipe. This includes popping the popcorn. The first step of making the sweet and buttery caramel sauce comes together quickly so having the ingredients measured and ready makes the recipe go smoothly.
- The most crucial step for this recipe is making the caramel sauce. Be careful not to overcook the sauce or it will crystallize. This will result in a grainy, sugary coating for the popcorn. Even though it will still be delicious, a smooth caramel coating makes for the best caramel corn.
- Freshly popping corn gives the caramel corn the best crunch.
- Be sure to quickly pour the hot caramel sauce over the popped popcorn. Stir to coat the popcorn with the caramel sauce.
- A large roasting pan (without the rack insert) is best for baking a batch of this caramel popcorn recipe. The straight sides hold the popcorn in as it is baked and stirred.
- Make sure not to package the caramel popcorn before it has completely cooled and the chocolate drizzle has hardened. Placing warm caramel popcorn in an airtight container, will result in soggy popcorn.
- Category: dessert
- Method: stove top and bake in oven
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 2 cups
- Calories: 381
- Sugar: 33.1 g
- Sodium: 370 mg
- Fat: 18.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 11.1. g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 52.8 g
- Fiber: 3.0 g
- Protein: 2.9 g
- Cholesterol: 41 mg
Keywords: caramel popcorn, caramel corn, butter, dessert