This Healthy Chicken Salad with Brussels Sprouts and Chickpeas is a protein packed meal and loaded with fresh vegetables. It’s easy to make and is a fresh take on a classic recipe. This chicken salad recipe is delicious for lunch or dinner.
For the salad ~
- 10 Brussels sprouts, leaves separated
- 3 cups cooked and shredded chicken
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
For the vinaigrette ~
- In a large bowl, add all the salad ingredients.
- In a small bowl, add the vinaigrette ingredients and whisk to combine.
- Drizzle the vinaigrette over the salad and toss to evenly coat the ingredients. Season to taste with kosher salt and pepper.
- Divide the salad between 4 large plates and serve.
- My first choice for the greens in this chicken salad recipe are the Brussels sprout leaves. They are super hearty and don’t wilt in the refrigerator even after tossed with the vinaigrette. You could substitute shredded cabbage or any type of lettuce. But if lettuce is subbed in the recipe, hold off on adding the vinaigrette until serving time. The lettuce will become wilty and limp in the refrigerator.
- To easily separate the Brussels sprout leaves, cut off about 1/2 inch of the stem end. Peel off the leaves trying to keep them as whole as possible. You may need to cut another small piece off the sprout to help remove the majority of the leaves.
- Chickpeas add a nutty and earthy flavor to the salad. Cannellini, kidney and pinto beans are all tasty substitutes.
- Category: entrée or side dish
- Method: no cooking required
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 448
- Sugar: 6.2 g
- Sodium: 964 mg
- Fat: 18.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.1 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 33.6 g
- Fiber: 8 g
- Protein: 38.6 g
- Cholesterol: 81 mg
Keywords: salad recipes, healthy chicken salad, dinner ideas, chicken