Chili Lime Chicken with Avocado Tomato Salsa. Smoky grilled chili lime marinated chicken gets a cool topper of avocado tomato salsa.
- for the marinade and chicken —
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 3 chopped garlic cloves
- juice of 2 limes or 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut in 1 1/2 inch strips
- for the salsa –
- 1 avocado (chopped and tossed with juice of 1/2 of a lime)
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped cucumber
- 2 cups chopped tomato
- juice of 1/2 of a lime
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- for serving ~
- Cotija cheese (for sprinkling)
- Tortilla chips
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the first 10 marinade ingredients. Place the chicken in the bag. Seal and squish around the contents to mix well.
- Let chicken marinate for about 30 minutes. Squish around the contents of the bag occasionally.
- Heat a grill to medium high heat.
- While the grill is heating, prepare the salsa.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine the salsa ingredients. Season to taste with kosher salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and discard the marinade.
- Grill the chicken strips for about 3 to 4 minutes per side or until the chicken is cooked through. It should have an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- Remove the chicken from the grill to a platter.
- Top the grilled chili lime chicken with the salsa and the Cotija cheese.
- Serve with tortillas and tortilla chips.
- Marinate the chicken in a large resealable bag. Add all the ingredients to the bag along with the chicken and seal it up. The marinade completely covers the chicken so it marinates evenly. And just toss the bag along with the marinade for easy clean up.
- Cut the chicken breasts into 3 to 4 strips. The chili lime marinade ingredients will infuse the smaller chicken pieces. Also, they are the perfect portion size.
- Make sure the grill is preheated. The chicken will be less likely to stick to a hot grill.
- Start to make the salsa while the grill is preheating. As avocados start to brown soon after they are cut, you don’t want to make the salsa too far in advance. Toss the diced avocado in lime juice before adding it to the other salsa ingredients to slow down the browning.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: entree
- Method: grill
- Cuisine: Tex Mex
- Serving Size: 1/5 of recipe
- Calories: 340
- Sugar: 5.6 g
- Sodium: 1070 mg
- Fat: 19.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.9 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 15.7 g
- Fiber: 5.2 g
- Protein: 27.4 g
- Cholesterol: 77 mg
Keywords: chili lime chicken, dinner ideas, chicken grill, chicken recipes