Grilled Broccoli with Parmesan Garlic Pasta is an easy side dish that features charred broccoli tossed with simple sauce of sauteed garlic, Parmesan cheese and pasta water.
When I can’t think of what to cook for dinner, I reach for a box of pasta as a source of inspiration. Fettuccine, fusili, elbow, bowtie, and ziti are the building blocks for a satisfying dinner. Hopefully there are leftovers for tomorrow’s lunch too. Grilled Broccoli with Parmesan Garlic Pasta is a light an summery meal I love to serve to family and friends.
Leftovers are a staple in our refrigerator. To some, the word leftover has a negative connotation. They feel it means old or already served food that is past its prime. Ultimately, they feel that leftovers will not taste good. At our house, it has the opposite meaning. There is always a family member or friend that is looking a quick snack or meal and leftovers or pulled pork, potato salad, or grilled chicken tenders garner ooohs and ahhhs.
How the heck can pasta be reheated and still be delicious?
A large (or even a small) bowl of leftover pasta can be tricky to reheat. Here are a few tips to make it taste as close to freshly made as possible.
- Heat individual servings one at a time in the microwave.
- Place pasta on a microwave safe plate and drizzle with a little extra virgin olive oil, a few small pats of butter or extra sauce if available.
- Cover loosely with plastic wrap.
- Heat on 60 percent power at 30 second intervals. Then stir and continue heating until it is warmed to your liking.
Let’s start with the cooking basics…
- Gather the ingredients – broccoli, extra virgin olive oil, fresh garlic, pasta (any shape will do), a chunk of Parmesan cheese, butter, kosher salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Light or turn on the grill. I’m partial to charcoal grills – especially Weber charcoal grills with gas lighters – but, a gas grill will do.
- Fill a large pot with water, cover with a lid and place over high heat.
Let’s start cooking….
- Prep the broccoli by washing it and cutting it into florets (which is just a fancy foodie term for the small cluster of flower buds on broccoli and cauliflower heads).
- Grill seasoned broccoli for about 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from grill and set aside.
- Cook the pasta in the pot of boiling and salted water. Scoop out a cup of the pasta water before draining it. Return the pasta to the pot.
- Saute garlic in extra virgin olive oil.
- Add the sauteed garlic, Parmesan cheese, butter, and reserved pasta water to the pot with the pasta and stir to combine.
Tips for cooking success….
- Do not overcook the broccoli. Some char spots are ideal. Ideally, the florets should have a slight crunch. Mushy and overcooked broccoli disintegrates into the dish.
- Salt the pasta water to add extra flavor to the dish.
- Freshly chop whole garlic cloves. The pre-chopped garlic in a jar is just not tasty.
- Shred a block of Parmesan. Already shredded cheese has a coating of potato starch, cellulose (wood fiber?!), and an anti-molding agent. Not only will the cheese you grate taste and melt better, it will not have a coating of all those unnecessary ingredients.
Other pasta recipes to cook up….
- Pasta e Fagioli – mmmmm! I love this one!
- Roasted Tomato and Garlic Shrimp with Goat Cheese and Pasta – a little fancy 🙂
- Orange Scented Couscous Salad with Cranberries and Maple Pecans
- Mile High Spinach and Sausage Lasagna – a crowd pleaser!
I’d love to hear from you! If you make this grilled broccoli and pasta dish, be sure to leave a comment. I read all the comments and respond to each and every one. Head over to my Instagram feed and post your photos too. It’s just like we are cooking together.Print
Grilled Broccoli and Parmesan Garlic Pasta is an easy entree or side dish of charred broccoli with a simple sauce of sauteed garlic, Parmesan cheese, butter and pasta water.
- 2 heads broccoli (cut in florets, about 8 cups)
- 1/4 cup olive oil (extra virgin, divided)
- kosher salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 8 ounces pasta (fusili, ziti, or rotini)
- 6 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Parmesan cheese (divided)
- 1 tbsp butter
- Heat a grill to high heat.
- Fill a large pot with water, cover and place over high heat. Bring to a boil.
- In a large bowl, add the broccoli florets, 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, a generous pinch of kosher salt, and a half dozen grinds of fresh pepper.
- Place a grill basket on the grill grate and let it heat up for a minute or so.
- Add the seasoned broccoli to the grill basket. Grill the broccoli for 8 to 10 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Remove the broccoli from the grill and place in a bowl.
- Add the pasta and a generous pinch of kosher salt to the pot of boiling water.
- Stir pasta and cook according to package directions.
- Reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta cooking water. Then drain the pasta and return it to the pot.
- Heat a saute pan over medium high heat. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil. When the oil begins to shimmer, add the garlic. Quickly saute for about 1 minute.
- Turn the heat to medium high under the pot with the cooked pasta.
- Pour hot oil and garlic over pasta in the pot.
- Add the grilled broccoli, 1/2 cup of reserved pasta water, 1 cup of shredded Parmesan cheese and butter. Toss to combine and cook for about 1 minute.
- Season to taste with kosher salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Divide pasta among 4 shallow bowls. Sprinkle with additional shredded Parmesan cheese.
Recipe by Amy Casey ~ 2019
© 2019 amycaseycooks
- Category: entree and side dish