These vegetable spring rolls are the super fresh and healthy counterpart to fried egg rolls. They are loaded with bright green lettuce leaves, thin bean threads, bean sprouts, and crunchy matchsticks of carrots, cucumbers, and red peppers. Serve the handheld salad with a peanutty sesame dipping sauce. You will love this fun way to eat veggies.
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 3 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 to 3 tablespoons of warm water
- 10 rice paper spring roll wrappers
- 5 large romaine or Boston bibb lettuce leaves (torn in half)
- 2 ounces cooked thin bean threads
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut in 2-3 inch thin matchsticks
- 1/2 English cucumber, cut in 2-3 inch thin matchsticks
- 1 red pepper, cut in 2-3 inch thin matchsticks
- 1 (14 ounce) can bean sprouts, drained
- Cilantro leaves
- In a small bowl, combine the hoisin sauce, peanut butter, soy sauce, rice vinegar, toasted sesame oil, and red pepper flakes. Stir with a fork until the sauce is smooth. Stir in 2 to 3 tablespoons of warm water to thin the sauce. Set aside.
- To assemble the spring rolls, fill of large pie plate with warm water. Have all the filling ingredients chopped and ready.
- Immerse one of the spring roll wrappers in the warm water for about 5+/- seconds. The wrapper should be soft and pliable. Transfer to a work surface.
- To the bottom half of the wrapper, stack the filling ingredients. Place a lettuce leaf on the wrapper and stack the on top some of the bean threads, carrots, cucumber, red pepper, bean sprouts, and a few cilantro leaves.
- To roll the spring roll, fold in the two sides of the wrapper over the ingredients followed by the end of the wrapper closest to you. Tuck the ingredients in with your fingers to keep the rolls neat and snug. Continue rolling until the spring roll is formed. Continue filling and rolling the remaining spring rolls.
- Serve with the Peanut Sesame Dipping Sauce.
- Make sure to thinly slice all the vegetables to 2 to 3 inches in length. This slim size adds to the ease of assembling the spring rolls.
- Cook the bean threads for 3 to 5 minutes in boiling water. Pick these up in the Asian section of your grocery store. Rinse the cooked noodles with cold water. This will prevent them from sticking together. Drain well so you will not have soggy spring rolls.
- Have a large work surface for assembling and rolling of the vegetable spring rolls.
- Quickly dip the spring roll wrappers in warm water to soften them.
- Place the filling ingredients on the lower half of the spring roll wrapper. Fold in the 2 sides then the end closest to you and roll up the spring roll nice and snug.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Category: appetizer, side dish
- Method: no cooking required
- Cuisine: Asian
- Serving Size: 2 rolls
- Calories: 267
- Sugar: 9 g
- Sodium: 470 mg
- Fat: 7 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.2 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 38.8 g
- Fiber: 3.2 g
- Protein: 8.9 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: fresh spring rolls, vegetable spring rolls, salad, vegetable spring rolls recipe, ingredients for spring rolls