This Zucchini Pie with Fresh Herbs is a delicious savory summer pie. Packed with fresh zucchini and herbs along with 2 kinds of cheese and eggs make for a delicious breakfast, lunch or side dish to go along with any summer entree.
- 1 unbaked (9-inch pie crust)
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons salted butter
- 4 cups thinly sliced zucchini
- 1 cup diced onion
- 3 chopped garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 3 large eggs (slightly beaten)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 2 cups shredded cheese ~ I used both sharp cheddar and mozzarella
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Line a 9-inch pie plate with the pie crust and brush with Dijon mustard. Set aside.
- In a large sauté pan over medium high heat, melt the butter. Add the zucchini, onion and garlic and sauté for about 7 to 8 minutes or until the onions are slightly translucent and the zucchini is just starting to soften. Remove from heat and allow to cool for about 5 to 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the salt, pepper, eggs, herbs and cheeses. Add the cooled zucchini mixture and stir to combine. Pour into the prepared pie crust.
- Bake for about 35 to 40 minutes or until the crust and the top of the pie are golden brown.
- Cool slightly before serving.
- The recipe calls for an unbaked pie crust. Hands down my first choice would be to make a homemade crust. But when the sun shining and the warm temperatures are calling to the outdoors, I resort to substituting a store bought crust.
- Make sure to slightly precook the zucchini, onion and garlic. The zucchini contains mostly water. If it is not sauteed before baking in the pie, the filling will be to runny and watery.
- Shred the cheese by hand or in a food processor. This is one of my all time cooking tips. Preshredded cheese that is available in packages at the grocery store contains additives. These additives ensure that the cheese does not clump together. It also prevents the cheese from melting smoothly. Work those biceps and grate that cheese by hand.
- Category: entree
- Method: bake in oven
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 278
- Sugar: 2.4 g
- Sodium: 647 mg
- Fat: 21 g
- Saturated Fat: 10.1 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 12 g
- Fiber: 1.2 g
- Protein: 11.1 g
- Cholesterol: 111 mg
Keywords: zucchini pie, zucchini recipe, summer side dish, dinner idea, brunch