A crunchy red, white and blue salad is an ideal addition to a 4th of July menu. Fennel, Apple and Radish Slaw Salad with Pecans and Blue Cheese is a refreshing and patriotic side dish to take to a picnic, barbecue, or potluck this holiday weekend.
The unique combination of ingredients is a tantalizing mix of savory, sweet, salty and tangy-tart flavors. Fennel, which is also known anise, tastes faintly like licorice. The sweet apples and blueberries, the spicy radishes and crisp celery are fruits and vegetables whose flavors complement each other.
Adding apples to a salad can sometimes lead to an unpleasant browning of the sliced fruit. A trick to keep the apple slices bright white is to add them to a bowl of cold water and lemon juice for a few minutes. The citrus juice and water mixture evenly coats the apples without adding too much lemony flavor. The result is fruit that looks and tastes just as fresh as when it was cut.
Crunchy pecans and sharp blue cheese round out the complex flavors of the slaw salad. It is tossed with a simple-to-make lemon and olive oil vinaigrette.
The slaw salad’s crunchy ingredients hold up well to sitting out on a picnic table or buffet. It can be made early in the day so no last minute chopping needs to be done. And the recipe can be easily doubled if serving a crowd at your celebration this 4th of July weekend.Print
- ½ lemon
- 1 medium apple quartered and thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1 fennel bulb quartered and thinly sliced (about 3 cups)
- 2 celery stalks thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
- 4 radishes cut in half and thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fennel fronds
- Fill a large bowl with cold water and add the juice of the ½ lemon and the sliced apples. Set aside while the remainder of the salad is prepared.
- In a large bowl, combine the fennel, celery, radishes, blueberries, pecans, and bleu cheese.
- In a small bowl, whisk the lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Drain the apples and add to the large bowl with the other fruits and vegetables.
- Drizzle the vinaigrette over the salad and toss to coat. Sprinkle the chopped fennel fronds on top of the salad.
- Serve immediately or chill in the refrigerator for up to 6 hours.
Recipe by Amy Casey
© amycaseycooks 2015
- Category: Side Dish