A truly easy risotto recipe! No standing over the pot stirring and stirring. This creamy butternut squash and green bean risotto is a delicious entrée or side dish. It is perfect for a weeknight dinner or when entertaining family and friends.
- 5 1/4 cups reduced sodium chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups peeled and cubed butternut squash (cut into bite-sized pieces)
- 4 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme (divided)
- 1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/2 cups green beans (cut in 1-inch pieces and steamed)
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Kosher salt
- 1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese
- Bring stock to boil in large saucepan then turn off heat, cover and set aside.
- Melt the butter in large sauté pan over medium heat. Add onion, a pinch of kosher salt and a few grinds of pepper. Sauté until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the butternut squash and 2 teaspoons of thyme and sauté 3 to 4 minutes. The squash should just begin to turn golden brown on the edges.
- Add the Arborio rice and stir for 2 minutes.
- Add wine and simmer until evaporated, about 1 minute.
- Slowly add the warm chicken stock all at once and bring to boil. Reduce the heat and simmer the risotto uncovered for 20 to 22 minutes. Stir once or twice. The rice will be just tender, and the risotto will be creamy. Turn off the heat, cover the pan with a lid, and let the risotto sit for 5 minutes.
- Stir the green beans and Parmesan cheese into the risotto. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle the risotto with blue cheese and remaining 2 teaspoons of thyme and serve.
- Chicken stock adds rich flavor to this easy risotto recipe. To make vegan or vegetarian risotto, use vegetable stock.
- Cut the butternut squash in bite sized pieces to ensure that it cooks in the same amount time as the rice.
- Fresh thyme is my first choice, but dried thyme is an acceptable substitution.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Side dish or entrée
- Method: Stove top
- Cuisine: American, Italian
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
- Calories: 334
- Sugar: 2.4 g
- Sodium: 414 mg
- Fat: 9.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 5.9 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 48.3 g
- Fiber: 3.7 g
- Protein: 10.5 g
- Cholesterol: 26 mg
Keywords: easy risotto recipe, risotto, easy risotto for beginners, risotto with butternut squash