This is the easiest drop scone recipe! These BIG scones are tender, craggy, and a little crumbly. Prefect with your morning coffee or afternoon tea.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the flour, light brown sugar, baking powder, kosher salt, cinnamon and unsweetened coconut. Whisk to combine the dry ingredients.
- With a box grater, shred the butter.
- Add the shredded butter to the dry ingredients and mix with your fingers or a fork until the mixture resembles pea sized crumbs.
- Add the frozen blueberries and toss with the flour butter mixture.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the heavy cream and egg.
- Add the cream and egg mixture to the flour butter mixture. Gently stir until the dough just comes together. Add a little more heavy cream or flour if the dough seems too dry or too sticky.
- Use a 1/2 cup measure or a kitchen scale to make 3 ounce scones. The recipe makes 9 scones. Place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Use a pastry brush to brush the scones with a little heavy cream. Sprinkle generously with sanding sugar.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes. The scones should be light golden brown and a toothpick should come out clean.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Start with cold, cold, cold butter. Frozen butter is even better. Grab a grater and get grating. The shredded butter will effortlessly combine with the dry ingredients. And butter makes for tender, flaky, and crispy edged scones.
- Heavy cream helps scones bake up higher and are more flavorful than than its less fat counterparts. Skip whole milk or half and half for this drop scone recipe.
- Freeze the blueberries. Since the scone batter is thick, the frozen blueberries will not break apart when mixed in.
- Use a kitchen scale to make even sized scones.
- Line the baking sheet with parchment paper so scones will bake evenly.
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake in oven
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 scone
- Calories: 286
- Sugar: 7.2 g
- Sodium: 349 mg
- Fat: 16.7 g
- Saturated Fat: 10.6 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 30.8 g
- Fiber: 1.7 g
- Protein: 14.3 g
- Cholesterol: 63 mg
Keywords: scones, drop scones, drop scone recipe, baked good