Double Berry Upside Down Cake. Part cake and part pie, this upside cake does not disappoint! Lots of caramelized blueberries and raspberries highlight this cinnamony, dense, and super moist single layer cake. This will be your go to cake of the spring and summer.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat the bottom and sides of an 8 inch round cake pan with 2 tablespoons of the butter. Use all the butter to thickly coat the pan.
- Evenly sprinkle 1/2 cup of granulated sugar on the bottom of the baking pan. Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon and the nutmeg evenly over the sugar.
- Arrange the raspberries and blueberries in a single layer over the sugar. Set aside.
- Using and stand mixer or a hand mixer, beat the remaining 6 tablespoons of butter with the remaining 1/2 cup sugar for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract and beat for 1 minute.
- In a small bowl, combine the all purpose flour, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon, baking powder, and kosher salt.
- With the mixer on low speed, alternately add the flour mixture and 1/2 cup heavy cream in 2 batches. Mix until just combined.
- Add the batter to the baking pan and carefully spread it evenly over the berries.
- Place the pan on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and bake for 30 to 40 minutes. The cake is done when a toothpick is inserted and comes our clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and place on a cooling rack for 15 minutes.
- Loosen the cake by running a knife around the edges. Carefully flip the cake over on a serving dish or cake stand.
- Using a stand mixer or hand mixer, beat the remaining 1 cup of heavy cream until it has soft peaks.
- Cut the cake into wedges and serve with the whipped cream.
- Pick fresh berries ~ Choose the freshest blueberries and raspberries for the berry cake.
- Bring the ingredients to room temperature ~ It will make mixing the cake easier if the butter and egg are taken out of the refrigerator about 30 to 60 minutes before preparing the upside cake.
- Let the cake cool before unmolding ~ To ensure that the berry cake does not stick to the pan, cool it for about 15 minutes before unmolding .
- Store the berry cake in the refrigerator ~ The cake will stay fresh for 2 to 3 days when lightly covered with plastic wrap and stored in the refrigerator.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake in oven
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/8 of recipe
- Calories: 366
- Sugar: 27.7 g
- Sodium: 239 mg
- Fat: 20.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 12.5 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 45.8 g
- Fiber: 2.2 g
- Protein: 2.9 g
- Cholesterol: 61 mg
Keywords: berry cake, blueberry cake, cake, dessert ideas, upside down cake